Breeding Sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
You don't have to tell me... I lost one Aldabra during the sexing of them. There was 21 and I don't blame the vet. Some anesthesias are safer than others.

Again... it is an extremely safe procedure.

emysemys said:
Its always a crap-shoot to put a tortoise under anesthesia. Some tortoises survive the surgery just fine, but can't recover from the anesthesia.

Yvonne

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
-EJ said:
hit the reptile shows and local turtle and tortoise clubs. You can either get them for nothing or less than $50.

If you are in San Antonio and you have property you are a prime candidate for all the free sulcatas you can handle... not kidding.

Let me know your setup and contact info...

nrfitchett4 said:
I'm confused here. Where can you find a CB hatchling for $50? Not at the petstore, they are charging $150 here in S.A.
I do wonder what percentage of sulcata's die young versus other pets. If there is demand, there will be supply. If not you, then someone else. The best you can do is educate.
FYI: I google reptile rescues in San Antonio and pretty much come up blank. Not sure if there are any rescues available here. Seems to be a couple thousand cats and dogs though.

not saying that I am trying to set up a tortoise rescue (though maybe in the future). I was just researching sulcatas as a pet and was coming up blank. I finally found a breeder in Waxahachie, Tx (south of Dallas) and his adults are amazing looking.
I just found it amazing that so many people are against the breeding and I couldn't find one adult or baby on craigslist in San Antonio or Austin. Like you said, we are prime climate to keep them outdoors here (most years). that damn global warming is making it too cold lately!!!

TylerStewart said:
I can think of much more productive things to do with $150 if the ultimate goal is saving the planet :)

I'm pleased to say that the cheapest sulcatas at the Pomona reptile show earlier this month were sold by Reptile Depot for $59 each. I did my part by selling mine for $70.

My daughter spotted it at our pet store, which takes wonderful care of it's animals, but the mark up on basic supplies is outrageous. usually 2x what I can get it for on reptile direct.
My point was that in a climate suitable to them, I couldn't find any local breeders. There is a large reptile show coming in March, but I didn't want to wait that long and was going to buy online before I found a breeder in dallas.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
There are not so many against the breeding of these animals... but... there are a number of... folks... who are vocal against the practice... very big difference.

nrfitchett4 said:
-EJ said:
hit the reptile shows and local turtle and tortoise clubs. You can either get them for nothing or less than $50.

If you are in San Antonio and you have property you are a prime candidate for all the free sulcatas you can handle... not kidding.

Let me know your setup and contact info...

nrfitchett4 said:
I'm confused here. Where can you find a CB hatchling for $50? Not at the petstore, they are charging $150 here in S.A.
I do wonder what percentage of sulcata's die young versus other pets. If there is demand, there will be supply. If not you, then someone else. The best you can do is educate.
FYI: I google reptile rescues in San Antonio and pretty much come up blank. Not sure if there are any rescues available here. Seems to be a couple thousand cats and dogs though.

not saying that I am trying to set up a tortoise rescue (though maybe in the future). I was just researching sulcatas as a pet and was coming up blank. I finally found a breeder in Waxahachie, Tx (south of Dallas) and his adults are amazing looking.
I just found it amazing that so many people are against the breeding and I couldn't find one adult or baby on craigslist in San Antonio or Austin. Like you said, we are prime climate to keep them outdoors here (most years). that damn global warming is making it too cold lately!!!

TylerStewart said:
I can think of much more productive things to do with $150 if the ultimate goal is saving the planet :)

I'm pleased to say that the cheapest sulcatas at the Pomona reptile show earlier this month were sold by Reptile Depot for $59 each. I did my part by selling mine for $70.

My daughter spotted it at our pet store, which takes wonderful care of it's animals, but the mark up on basic supplies is outrageous. usually 2x what I can get it for on reptile direct.
My point was that in a climate suitable to them, I couldn't find any local breeders. There is a large reptile show coming in March, but I didn't want to wait that long and was going to buy online before I found a breeder in dallas.

carrilac

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
This is the first I’m seeing this thread and I wish I would have seen it weeks ago. It took me a little over 3 months to decide on a tortoise species and bring home a hatchling. I read up on every species out there. The whole time I was trying to decide I had people pressuring me into getting a sulcatta. A reptile breeder told me it would take 10 years for a sulcatta to get 20 pounds.
A friend of my husband’s (a lizard breeder) was also trying to talk us into buying a sulcatta. Every time I had an argument why not to get one, there was a response such as; they are perfect for So Cal, it takes them years to get really big, you can sell them for a lot of money when they out grow your yard.
I spoke with our friend days after bringing home our little cherry head redfoot. Apparently he had just given up his 2 sulcattas. He stated that their poop was the size of salad plates and he couldn’t get a handle on it in his small back yard. His large dogs were eating it and getting sick in the house. His pregnant wife, totally grossed out, said it was her or the torts.
I was floored by his story. Why was he suggesting we purchase something that he could not get a handle on himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.