Extra Light Question - Baby RT Enclosure

Nephelle

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey all :)

I think I would like to mount a light at the cool end of my enclosure, but I'm not sure exactly what kind.

Currently I have an MVB at the basking end and a CHE in the middle.
My tub dimensions are approx - 32"L X 16"W

My thought was to mount a small strip light (if I can find one to fit) across the cool end, that might raise the temp a few degrees but not much. The light would sit around 8" above substrate level.

I have been trying to rotate live plants through, but they aren't doing well for long. I thought perhaps of using a grow light?

Alternately, would another UV light be better on that end, especially going into the winter months?

My concerns off the top of my head are: 1) Heat 2) Being too bright 3) Too much UV -or- not utilizing the space correctly with another UV strip.

Any feedback would be helpful! Thank you!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would think another mvb would make it way too hot. A UVB fluorescent wouldn't add too much heat,but a little and it wouldn't be too much uvb lights don't give off enough as it is. You could also use a regular incandescent light bulb 40 watt might give off just enough heat

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I would think another mvb would make it way too hot. A UVB fluorescent wouldn't add too much heat,but a little and it wouldn't be too much uvb lights don't give off enough as it is. You could also use a regular incandescent light bulb 40 watt might give off just enough heat

Thank you for the fast reply :)

I went through and looked at florescent bulbs and I didn't see any that would fit across the end of my tub...I think I'd need something around 12-14" to leave room for a fixture. Maybe when the christmas tree tubs come out in a few months and we upgrade, though.

Would something like this work, instead? Maybe hung in a mini dome fixture? The lowest wattage I can find for a plant bulb is 60w, so not sure if that would do the trick or not. I'd really like to be able to sink a small tray of live plants there for her to graze on, but right now the plants are only making it 4-5 days before starting to wilt. The one I have closer to the MVB is doing a bit better.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60-Watt-Incandescent-A19-Agro-Plant-Light-Bulb-429480/202762720

I appreciate your patience with questions! The lighting learning curve is still making my brain go o_O

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Have you posted a picture of the tub? If it's just for ambient lighting, I'd go LED.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for the fast reply :)

I went through and looked at florescent bulbs and I didn't see any that would fit across the end of my tub...I think I'd need something around 12-14" to leave room for a fixture. Maybe when the christmas tree tubs come out in a few months and we upgrade, though.

Would something like this work, instead? Maybe hung in a mini dome fixture? The lowest wattage I can find for a plant bulb is 60w, so not sure if that would do the trick or not. I'd really like to be able to sink a small tray of live plants there for her to graze on, but right now the plants are only making it 4-5 days before starting to wilt. The one I have closer to the MVB is doing a bit better.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60-Watt-Incandescent-A19-Agro-Plant-Light-Bulb-429480/202762720

I appreciate your patience with questions! The lighting learning curve is still making my brain go o_O

I hear ya with lghting. It can be a pain to get it right and to fit. I don't know about plant bulbs if they get too hot or not. You could always put it on a thermostat if it does though.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Have you posted a picture of the tub? If it's just for ambient lighting, I'd go LED.

Enclosure 10.4.jpg

I have it topped with foil currently (took it off for the pic). I have the sheet of plexiglass waiting to make the top, but I'd like to get all this sorted before cutting into it.

I looked at the LED bulbs, but have never used one before, and didn't know if they were safe. They had some cool options though, I saw a few that were used for hydro/indoor growing.

Ideally I could find something that would keep the heat down on that end but lets me put some small plants in there for her (and me) to play with lol.

Would something like this work? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHQT7YK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I hear ya with lghting. It can be a pain to get it right and to fit. I don't know about plant bulbs if they get too hot or not. You could always put it on a thermostat if it does though.

I hadn't thought of putting a light on a thermostat! That never occured to me, haha...although my CHE is on one. It would turn it on and off like a timer, then? Gah that's cool! TY!!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It might work for a smaller area, like directly over 1 plant and probably need to be fairly close. For purely lighting purposes, I was thinking something like an LED rope or tape light. It could be attached to the sides, in multiple rows if necessary.

For smaller fluorescents, look for under cabinet lighting. You can get fixtures that are small enough to work for you.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
It might work for a smaller area, like directly over 1 plant and probably need to be fairly close. For purely lighting purposes, I was thinking something like an LED rope or tape light. It could be attached to the sides, in multiple rows if necessary.

For smaller fluorescents, look for under cabinet lighting. You can get fixtures that are small enough to work for you.

jaizei, you just made this even more addictingly fun. Dammit. LOL

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NANKFNQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

How about these? I see the connectors to do rows, it would be awesome if they could go down the wall inside the enclosure. I looooveee this idea!!!

Edit: I just looked again, and the grow lights are the red/blue varieties of this. Would that annoy my tortoise or would it not matter?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I've read somewhere that LED lights are not suitable for tortoises, because even if it looks white to us, to a tortoise it would be blue because of the discrete spectrum. If that is the case I wouldn't use it, I don't think coloured lighting would make them feel comfortable.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I've read somewhere that LED lights are not suitable for tortoises, because even if it looks white to us, to a tortoise it would be blue because of the discrete spectrum. If that is the case I wouldn't use it, I don't think coloured lighting would make them feel comfortable.

Thanks, Lisa :)

I think I will definitely do some more research on LED lights for future set ups, because if it is okay to use it would be an amazing option!

I did find a post from @ZEROPILOT in an old thread where he was using a Reptisun 5.0 and his plants were growing like crazy. The sample enclosure pic was similar to my sizing, so I'm hoping that might work!

I found a hood that will sit nicely across the top where I wanted a bulb, and I can do all of it for pretty cheap so I think I will start there and see where future enclosures take me!

This is the set up I was thinking of getting -

Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium Hood
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HWBPVI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Zoo Med ReptiSun Fluorescent Lamp
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QOG8IC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Thank you to everyone for the awesome advice!! Lots of options and things to research for the future...I love it :D

:<3::<3::<3: