Freezing mulberry and grape leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saloli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
middle river
Is there any good way to freeze them with out them turning out like frozen collard greens or the like when thawed out? I'm trying to figure out a way to have them available even in winter as I will need them
for the MBTs. I figure they work for EBTs, and GCBTs. Though the MBTs appear to be either of common origin with the TTBTs or some similar type. Any way any ideas or if any body has tried this let me know. Thanks.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
As you said, they don't freeze well, but you can try blanching them first and then freezing them. I'm betting they will still be soggy though. Good luck!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Let us know if you find a good method. I waste so many greens because they go bad before my torts can eat them. I've tried freezing and the greens thaw to slimy mush.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I tried freezing mulberry leaves last year, they looked nice when frozen but as they thawed they turned black and mushy, this year I am drying different types of leaves now, to see who will eat them dry and or re-moistened.

Tillasaurus

5 Year Member
What about using a food dehydrator? I know some nutritional value would be lost. However, If one then sprinkled them on other foods like is often done with hay, I wonder if the torts would get any benefits of the original food?

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
That is a good idea I'll see if I can dehydrate them maybe sun dry. As I don't have a dehydrator though I have dried things like mint, thyme and lemon clovers (oxalis which was/is used as a herb by some native nations).

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I tried freezing a bunch of different leaves last year, but not grape or mulberry as I don't have those. I found that the tougher fibers stayed tough while the more tender parts of the leaves went soft. I fed the thawed leaves by first chopping them (with scissors) into segments, across the tough fibers. My torts accepted everything I froze, thawed, and chopped the same as fresh.
Dried naturally (not dehydrated) would also be a great choice, I think.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I found this: I might try mason jars:
Dry Store without Brine

Start with a quantity of leaves for one use since, once opened, they will degrade. Be sure leaves have not been sprayed with any chemicals or pesticides.
1.Plastic Bottles
Plastic beverage bottles (HDPE, LDPE, or PP) work well.

Wipe leaves to remove moisture and debris. Fold up like a towel or napkin until small enough to fit through the bottle opening, and pack them in! Screw on tops, label with date and number of leaves, and store in a dark, dry place.

To use, cut the bottle open.

2.Glass Jars
Use mason jars or other canning type jars with good seals.

Wipe leaves to remove moisture and debris. Fold leaves to fit (or lay flat for small leaves), pack in tightly, and seal. Label with date and number of leaves, and store in a dark, dry place.

Dry-packed leaves will keep for at least a year. The leaves will change color as they lose chlorophyll but the taste will be delightful.

Soak in water for a few minutes to soften, then rinse before using.

Dried Grape Leaves

Wipe off leaves to remove any debris. Using a needle, run a thread through the vine leaves right above where the stem used to be. Hang bunches in a dark cool place to dry (similar to drying herbs and flowers). When completely dried, pack bunches (still tied) in plastic bags and store for future use. When ready to use, hold the bunch by the string and dip in boiling water for about 2 to 3 minutes. The color will turn a lighter green.

How big should the bunches be? Enough for one recipe. Base the number on the amount required in your favorite recipes, and label each bunch with the number of leaves. Alternatively, make small bunches (20 or more leaves) and use as many as needed for each recipe.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
yagyujubei said:
I found this: I might try mason jars:
Dry Store without Brine

Start with a quantity of leaves for one use since, once opened, they will degrade. Be sure leaves have not been sprayed with any chemicals or pesticides.
1.Plastic Bottles
Plastic beverage bottles (HDPE, LDPE, or PP) work well.

Wipe leaves to remove moisture and debris. Fold up like a towel or napkin until small enough to fit through the bottle opening, and pack them in! Screw on tops, label with date and number of leaves, and store in a dark, dry place.

To use, cut the bottle open.

2.Glass Jars
Use mason jars or other canning type jars with good seals.

Wipe leaves to remove moisture and debris. Fold leaves to fit (or lay flat for small leaves), pack in tightly, and seal. Label with date and number of leaves, and store in a dark, dry place.

Dry-packed leaves will keep for at least a year. The leaves will change color as they lose chlorophyll but the taste will be delightful.

Soak in water for a few minutes to soften, then rinse before using.

Dried Grape Leaves

Wipe off leaves to remove any debris. Using a needle, run a thread through the vine leaves right above where the stem used to be. Hang bunches in a dark cool place to dry (similar to drying herbs and flowers). When completely dried, pack bunches (still tied) in plastic bags and store for future use. When ready to use, hold the bunch by the string and dip in boiling water for about 2 to 3 minutes. The color will turn a lighter green.

How big should the bunches be? Enough for one recipe. Base the number on the amount required in your favorite recipes, and label each bunch with the number of leaves. Alternatively, make small bunches (20 or more leaves) and use as many as needed for each recipe.

Thanks. I'm guessing that was from either a Greek or Italian food site as grape leaves and mulberry leaves are used in both types of food ( yet another example of my random knowledge). I may try this as it is similar to some of the ways I've dried other plant material. Has anyone tried the press method ( often used for botanical and ecological specimens)? As I have a press that I use for specimens I may try it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Has anyone tried those plastic bag sealing machines. They suck the air out of the bag and then seals it. I bet it would work really well for some of the hardier greens, like grape leafs, which last a really long time in the frig when put in paper towel and then sealed in a zip lock. Don't wash greens before storing. Best if washed just before feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.