Location (City and/or State)
india

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Its size is about 5 inches
Both are absolutely beautiful Indian Stars. Both are female. A fully adult female from your locale will normally be about 6-7" so although only 2 years, it is large enough to start developing the sexual characteristics.

kobe

india
Both are absolutely beautiful Indian Stars. Both are female. A fully adult female from your locale will normally be about 6-7" so although only 2 years, it is large enough to start developing the sexual characteristics.
no man it isnt 7 iches
its just 5 inches

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
no man it isnt 7 iches
its just 5 inches
I understand. I was trying to say that the Indian Stars from your locale tend to be the smaller of the Indian Stars. A FULL ADULT female can only be 6"-7". So by 5" it will surely be showing it's gender. A fully adult male would only be 5"-6" many times there. So if this were a male, we would see the male characteristics certainly by 5". Also the look of the anal scutes have already changed to female characteristic. It does not look like immature female that "still may change".

kobe

india
thank you @Markw84
time for me to get a male from my aunts house

BUT the male in my aunts house is 4 years old and 11 inches
female is about 6 years nd 9 inches

these are the true wild south indian stars found in ANDHRA PRADESH
any clue on this?!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
thank you @Markw84
time for me to get a male from my aunts house

BUT the male in my aunts house is 4 years old and 11 inches
female is about 6 years nd 9 inches

these are the true wild south indian stars found in ANDHRA PRADESH
any clue on this?!
Well, Andhra Pradesh is a more northerly part of the "south Indian star" range. And generally, the further north specimens do tend to get larger. The stars from northwest Indian can get that large certainly, so I would not be surprised to see some larger ones from your area as well, even though technically a "south" variety, since you are at the northern end of the eastern part of the range. An 11 inch male is quite surprising however for any Indian Star. Would love to see a picture when you get a chance next to a ruler for reference. Also can you weigh it and let me know the weight as well? I'd love to have that picture. And locale info from where it was caught if you know that as well.

I looked at your other post, and I will say Indian Stars are not very aggressive tortoises and can do well normally in groups. I would not ever recommend just two in a group, though. So a male from you aunt added to your two females would be a perfect group.

Mounting behavior is not necessarily simple aggression. with stars, It is often sexually motivated and can be exhibited by either sex. It is most often in the "breeding season" but can be year-round, especially in captive individuals. You will also see that as dominant behavior in females when they are getting ready to lay eggs and want others away from them. Even though your female has not been with a male, it can still develop unfertilized eggs she will need to lay. At 9" that certainly could be happening.

kobe

india
yo dude ur info is killin bro
tq for ur valuable info
yeah i wl be able to post after 2 days

it was caught from the forests of tuni
its well known for the stars
as all the hatchlings come down from d small ranged moutnains during summers

THESE ARE THE WILD STARS

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
yo dude ur info is killin bro
tq for ur valuable info
yeah i wl be able to post after 2 days

it was caught from the forests of tuni
its well known for the stars
as all the hatchlings come down from d small ranged moutnains during summers

THESE ARE THE WILD STARS
What do you mean the hatchlings come down from a small mountain range during summer?

What is the climate like when these hatchlings come down from the mountains?

What are they coming down for?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
you sure??
because d smaller one is juz 2 years old
is it gonna still grow ?
and turn out to be a male?

Like Mark said it's definitely a female. How do you know it's only two years old if it was wild caught?Looks to be older, in captivity it takes 3-4 years for a Indian star to be that size normally.

Can you tell us more about this mountain these tortoises come from, what are the temperatures like during the summer,winter, spring, fall? And how often does it rain? Thank you.

kobe

india
when i got it it was almost similar in size to d hatchlings my aunt had
so probably thought they were of the same age

kobe

india
Like Mark said it's definitely a female. How do you know it's only two years old if it was wild caught?Looks to be older, in captivity it takes 3-4 years for a Indian star to be that size normally.

Can you tell us more about this mountain these tortoises come from, what are the temperatures like during the summer,winter, spring, fall? And how often does it rain? Thank you.
the temperature in summers is about max 37 to 40 degrees with 70 to 80 % humidity with no rainfall for 3 to 4 months

in winter temp falls to 20 to 26 with partial rainfall and is for 4 months and rainy season is for 4 months and rains for almost twice or thrice 2 days on the mountains
so these hatchlings come down from the mountains during the rainy seasons

the mountains are a bit of tropical type and the areas surrounding the mountains are grasslands

they are commonly known as EASTERN GHATS

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Almost positive all pictured are girls. Also same for age do not believe only 2 years old. Safer guess would be at least 12-15 years. Beautiful shells! So much prettier than captive grown pyramided ones always seen for sale. Do not be surprised if they both lay eggs for you at least this year and maybe for a couple more.:D

kobe

india
Almost positive all pictured are girls. Also same for age do not believe only 2 years old. Safer guess would be at least 12-15 years. Beautiful shells! So much prettier than captive grown pyramided ones always seen for sale. Do not be surprised if they both lay eggs for you at least this year and maybe for a couple more.:D
thank you man
so positive of u
but didnt get abt wht ui said abt their ages
can u plz make it clear abt 12 to 15 thingy?

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Judging by the growth rings and very minimal current growth and wear on shells I believe your tortoises are at least 12 to 15 years old.