Guys im scared

Lou1

Location (City and/or State)
Laredo Texas
The story is that it was given to me. My mother in law found it outside a school lost. She gave it to me. I live with her and my gf. So now im taking care of her. I have 10 dogs. And we take care of them. But this tort well ima take care of it because well we dont know where to leave it. I checked tort shelters but theres none in my city. She is allot better now. She is moving freely and eating. But the question is why did she act that way when she was exposed to the cold. And i havent taken her outside because all this week is going to be cold and raining. Im triying not to stress her out. Im going to get a large container biger than the box and put soil in there ima get a nighlight for her for heat . now im new at taking care of a reptile. And i do feel bad that i dont have the knoledge nor the equipment. Ive seen other people have torts of same species. But they died on them and i asked how and they told me they keep them in boxes inside. Me i want her outised because of the sun but i recently took her in because of the weather. The box was just going to be temporary because it was very cold. Now she is very good. She is eating . i dont want her to suffer so im triying my best in what i can do. So i would like to know more. I need more guidance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don’t release it if you don’t know where they got it!!! Please don’t! It is possible that this was bred in captivity because it does happen even if it’s illegal, (not sure about laws in your state) on top of that these guys have subspecies and if you introduce a New line to an area it’s not supposed to be that could cause issues in the wild population. Also captive tortoises can spread many illnesses to the wild population. You need to find a rescue or someone to adopt it. If you can’t get the equipment needed for a proper enclosure you need to find them a new home because keeping them in a box is extremely dangerous to the Tortoise’s health. I’m not trying to sound mean or like a know it all but that animal needs a proper living environment. Call a rescue or a local tortoise keeper. Many of us keepers have an addiction and would gladly take a new tortoise. Hell I would take it (and pay for shipping) if you could ship it to me.. I don’t think that’s legal though for this species. ? @Tom do you know if it’s legal for him to ship that species?
It is definitely not legal to move Gopherus species across state lines, and I'm not sure its even legal to possess a Texas tortoise in Texas. I don't know what their laws are regarding this species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I need more guidance.
Here is your guidance. Do not use soil. Everything is explained in detail in here:

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
The story is that it was given to me. My mother in law found it outside a school lost. She gave it to me. I live with her and my gf.
Then you can ask your MIL exactly where the tortoise was found, and release it back there. That is what you should do.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know if it's legal or not for you to have that tortoise. I do know you did wrong by taking it from the wild. It's wrong to take from the wild and it's wrong to get a pet you can't afford to do right by!