Status
Not open for further replies.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
What is the UVB output of your bulb?
It should say on the box or a paper inside what zoo med recommends as to minimum height above the substrate. After that you have to adjust it to get the right basking spot temperature.

Danny

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Not to sound like an idiot, but where would I look to find the out what the input is? The bulb came in a like a bubble packaging thing, you know like the kind that cameras come in (two sides open like a V with the top stapled...) and it has long since been thrown out...

I am just going to ask what it should be, and go to petco tomorrow and look at the packaging, and if its not up to par, I will get a dif bulb...Right now it is about 12 in away from his substrate, and I have the thermometer loose in the enclosure, on the substrate and his hot spot gets between 95-98F degrees...the rest of his "hot" side stays in the low 80sF, and his cool side is about 73F

Is that ok?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
From what I can tell looking it up, it doesn't produce much if any UVB. UVB is what you need to help produce vitamin D. You really need a Mercury Vapor Bulb. They will be more expensive, but well worth it.

Danny

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I'm getting an MVB today then...what wattage?

Also, do they make any other fixtures of clamps or anything to help me keep the bulb alittle higher with Anouk?

With a normal clamp, its only about 8in away from the substrate. I don't want to cook her. Is there any other ready made clamps/fixtures that you use, or would I have to make something?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They come in 100 and 160 watts. I would get the 100 watt one. You really need a dome lamp with ceramic socket, than there is no chance of melting the socket. You can get them at Wal-mart for about $10.

Danny

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Oh I'll get a normal lamp, like the one i use for Nigel, but do they make longer clamps?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Darn. Look's like I'll have to get handy!

Is there anything else she should have? That's specialized, like diet wise or anything?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I bought a bunch of plants (fake) tonight, and another ceramic dish to use as her feeding plate...I got it big enough that she can climb in it, so she wont eat aspen with her salad. i also bought a size reference... I will post pics of it later!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Meg, Just found this thread. They make lamp stands in two sizes. You can get them at Petco. Or e-bay usually cheaper. I have both sizes they work well with the clamp lamps, which usually have a hanger on them. Then the MVB is shining directly down on your little one just like the sun. You can adjust it so that it is the right height to produce the right temp. as well as it’s arm extends so that you can extend it into the enclosure and it does not sit on the end. Here is what it looks like http://www.petco.com/product/5011/Z..._pla=Zoo Med&cm_ite=481378&CAWELAID=201376356

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
LOL Robyn, I've had my lamp stands for a few weeks now! I got the smaller ones cheap online for $8 each on sale! And both work like a charm...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thats great new. I knew this was an older thread and thought perhaps you had found them already but never hurts to make sure. Perhaps some else will need the pic. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.