alyssa lobello

Location (City and/or State)
Davenport FL
Hello,

My hatchling redfoot went to the vet. They gave him subcutaneous fluids, ceftazidime, and a gentamicin eye drop. They said he may just be a hatchling that fails to thrive but I wanted to give him a chance. I soak him a few times a day in warm water. Sometimes I had Mazuri diet, carrots, or a little orange juice. He doesn't want to eat but he has pooped once in the week I have had him. I have a humidifier running for him and his heat is around 90 at all times. The vet seemed to think I was doing everything all right although he still seems dry and dehydrated. Any other thoughts on husbandry, failure to thrive, etc.?
Also, I have some pictures of him, anyone have any ideas what is going on with his shell?

Attachments

• baby1.jpg
    baby1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 5
  • baby2.jpg
    baby2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 5
  • baby3.jpg
    baby3.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 6
  • baby4.jpg
    baby4.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
90 is too warm. Has it always been that warm?
Was the baby soaked daily previously?
Was the baby kept indoors in a large closed chamber enclosure?

They don't just "fail to thrive". They fail to thrive when something is off on the husbandry.

alyssa lobello

Davenport FL
90 is too warm. Has it always been that warm?
Was the baby soaked daily previously?
Was the baby kept indoors in a large closed chamber enclosure?

They don't just "fail to thrive". They fail to thrive when something is off on the husbandry.
It has been around that temperature for about a week, he does move out of the light off and on. I have it at 86 now.
He has been soaked at least once a day for the past week and a half. I've been soaking him twice a day now.
He hatched outdoors before being brought inside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It has been around that temperature for about a week, he does move out of the light off and on. I have it at 86 now.
He has been soaked at least once a day for the past week and a half. I've been soaking him twice a day now.
He hatched outdoors before being brought inside.
Where is it 86? Under the basking lamp? Or is that ambient?

This species needs a large closed chamber, and a warm ambient temp. They don't need a basking lamp.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would stop the orange juice and add baby food carrots and piediyte to the soak water.
Maybe try some boiled egg or canned cat food. For others reading the egg and cat food is for RF. Is there uvb?
@ZEROPILOT what other mushy foods could be fed?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Harsh lighting. Dry enclosure. Incorrect type of UVB. Too hot. Too cold and Incorrect diet are just a few of the things that can make a baby RF get ill. Cool it down to the lower 80s.
Get some brightly colored fruit asap. Mango or Strawberry especially. (Banana too)
At this point any food in is a good thing. Lots of things CAN be fed. Hundreds of things. But few things seem to get a food response like brightly colored or very aromatic fruit.
I've cut tiny slivers of food and have hand fed sick babies by jamming it in their mouths. Sometimes they'll get a taste for it and start nibbling on it. It's very rewarding.
Redfoot can handle sugars and it seems to be great for energy.
Can you also bring him outside. Supervised. And let him soak up some indirect sunlight? (Not in a pan or glass container)
Use warm water and something like apple or sweet potato baby food for soaking. They can go without food A LOT longer than they can without hydration. And I'm thinking that the orange juice has processed stuff in it and a ton of citric acid. I would not use it. But I have used PEDIALITE.
A sick baby is very hard to get turned back around. Let's try this stuff as soon as you can. Hopefully we'll see a bit of improvement or at least a stop in his decline.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Its 86 under the basking lamp. I'm looking to get a incubator for him in the hopes it might help.
Don't
It won't
A correctly functional CLOSED CHAMBER enclosure will hold in the warmth you need of 82 to 84 (my suggestion) and your humidity of 70% or more.