Help with Improving my Esio’s Enclosure

zarawyon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hiya

I have a 9 year old horsefield that I got quite young and I am now endeavouring to improve her enclosure. She currently lives in a basic set up with a mercury lamp over a tortoise table but it’s just way too small. I want to get her an outdoor tortoise house (retaining the table for bad weather). I will link the website i am looking at if anyone would be kind enough to offer an opinion (i was looking at the 2nd largest size).

I need to re-do the whole heating and lighting set up and i would like to have the exact products so that the builder may be able to accommodate the fittings etc. Any advice on the exact products required would be really useful.
In terms of substrates she has a mix of wood chips and tortoise soil but i will re-purchase everything for the new enclosure as it is much larger.

I have accumulated a lot of hides and terracotta dishes etc to put in the enclosure and hope to have a run that can attach for when the weather permits.

Thank you in advance :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hiya

I have a 9 year old horsefield that I got quite young and I am now endeavouring to improve her enclosure. She currently lives in a basic set up with a mercury lamp over a tortoise table but it’s just way too small. I want to get her an outdoor tortoise house (retaining the table for bad weather). I will link the website i am looking at if anyone would be kind enough to offer an opinion (i was looking at the 2nd largest size).

I need to re-do the whole heating and lighting set up and i would like to have the exact products so that the builder may be able to accommodate the fittings etc. Any advice on the exact products required would be really useful.
In terms of substrates she has a mix of wood chips and tortoise soil but i will re-purchase everything for the new enclosure as it is much larger.

I have accumulated a lot of hides and terracotta dishes etc to put in the enclosure and hope to have a run that can attach for when the weather permits.

Thank you in advance :)
Hello and welcome. Start here, and look for the heating and lighting break down at the bottom, along with the temperate species care sheet.

Here is an outdoor enclosure thread that just started:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The hide/house doesn't need to be that big. I actually have a Russian and I gave him an old chicken house that's close to the size in your pics. He also has a very low bottom half of a dog igloo. He uses the igloo all the time and the chicken house maybe twice in 2 or 3 years. Mine at least likes smaller hides, likely feels more secure.
If she is going to be outside, she shouldn't need all the lights and heat unless you get cold summer nights that are below 60F.
Now if you want to keep her out all winter, she would need a bigger enclosure that is very well insulated, lighted and heated.
But for summer outside time, they need a fenced area with a small hide you can lock up at night so she is safe when sleeping and let out every morning.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Mine also very much prefers hides he can barely turn around in… the snugger the better…