Lucyk

Location (City and/or State)
London
I have fasted my hermann for 3 weeks now with daily soaks, where he also drinks, he started to poop a couple days ago but never managed to get it all out. I was waiting for him to pass it ready to put him in the fridge today but he still hasn’t had this poop come out. Do I wait another week and hope he poops or will 4 weeks be too long of a fasting period? Not sure what to do! He’s 13 years old and always hibernated successfully before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have fasted my hermann for 3 weeks now with daily soaks, where he also drinks, he started to poop a couple days ago but never managed to get it all out. I was waiting for him to pass it ready to put him in the fridge today but he still hasn’t had this poop come out. Do I wait another week and hope he poops or will 4 weeks be too long of a fasting period? Not sure what to do! He’s 13 years old and always hibernated successfully before.
Definitely wait another week, and be sure he can warm up and bask during this time. They can't function if they are too cold. Daily warm soaks for 30-60 minutes too.

4 weeks is not too long for fasting, and you can add a week or two of gradual cooling after this warm up. Happens outside that way in fall too. Warm ups and cool down leading into winter...