horsefield tortoise dead?

ilovereptiles

Hi guys I really need help, my 14 year old horsefield female tortois.. I got a phone call off my mam that my Penny had passed away ( I have never cried as much in my life) .. I got home as soon as I could, she was stiff, but one arm at the front and one at the back isn't. was stroking her and put her in bed with me and sat up all night stroking her head. It's now gone past 12 pm, and she's still warm and her front leg still isn't stiff. My mind is probably playing tricks and I thought she had.moved her arm. I took her to the vets at 10.30pm and she used a stethoscope to check her heart beat and she said " I can't say she's alive and can't say she's dead" she's still warm. For the past few week she hasn't been eating but drinking loads of water, I'm so scared and I don't even.know what's happening to my little girl if she's alive or not. Please help, thank you.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
I'm sorry for your loss. :( Being warm is no sign of life for a reptile, they are always the same temperature as their environment. You could put her under a heat bulb or soak her in lukewarm water, but if she still shows no reaction, she is most likely dead.

ilovereptiles

She was found under her light the way she was. I really can't deal with her not being here. I have her in my bedroom on my bed in a box and I've put my warm pj top with he. I don't want to bury her I'm too scared, she's my little gem. I can't stop cryinG

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Poor girl, she looks quite sick in the picture. :( Do you know what was wrong with her?

ilovereptiles

I took her to the vets about 8 days ago, they said everything was perfect. But they gave me antibiotics for her eyes as they were a little swollen. I keep thinking if I go up and stroke her she's gonna open her eyes :( I'm only 22 and she's always been there, she was like my own kid, I cherished her so much and I still do. I can't believe it that she's actually gone to sleep for good I can't :(

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
So sorry you're going through this. Best wishes for you and your tortoise.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
I wish I could give you a hug. your tortoise deserves every tear. I'm sorry this happens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How were you heating and lighting her? UV bulb? What were you feeding?

Maybe knowing what happened would bring some comfort?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So sorry this has happened. It's always very hard to lose a treasured 'family member.'

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So sorry you have to go through such heartache:(