Location (City and/or State)
Sewell New Jersey
Hi, I’m currently planning to build a bigger enclosure for my two marginated tortoises. They are around 6 inches long so I’m going to a 4 x 8 foot enclosure. How big should my I’ve light be for that size enclosure?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi, I’m currently planning to build a bigger enclosure for my two marginated tortoises. They are around 6 inches long so I’m going to a 4 x 8 foot enclosure. How big should my I’ve light be for that size enclosure?
I am believer in having a good amount of space where the tortoise can get away from the UVB. I like the UV tube to be about 1/3 the length of the enclosure, and no more than 1/2. Coupled with a basking light for heat, that makes a great basking area. You will want good bright light for ambient light in addition. I use LEDs for this. In an 8 ft enclosure, I would want at least 6000 lumen for ambient total. I have 9000 lumen in my 8 ft enclosures. Keep in mind daylight outside is about 30,000 lumen. In the sun, way brighter still! So most people have their enclosures way too dark. A bright enclosure with plenty of natural hides will make a huge difference with your tortoise.

Sewell New Jersey
I am believer in having a good amount of space where the tortoise can get away from the UVB. I like the UV tube to be about 1/3 the length of the enclosure, and no more than 1/2. Coupled with a basking light for heat, that makes a great basking area. You will want good bright light for ambient light in addition. I use LEDs for this. In an 8 ft enclosure, I would want at least 6000 lumen for ambient total. I have 9000 lumen in my 8 ft enclosures. Keep in mind daylight outside is about 30,000 lumen. In the sun, way brighter still! So most people have their enclosures way too dark. A bright enclosure with plenty of natural hides will make a huge difference with your tortoise.
Thanks a lot, I’ll look into a 9000 lumens uvb light.

Sewell New Jersey
What brand light fixture do you use in your 8 foot?