How many things do you see wrong?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Went to the pet store by my house today and this is what I found. I've tried telling them in the past but it doesn't help. The little Leopards can't even get in the food dish.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432421899.879736.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That is very sad. Are they just waiting for the big tortoises to squish the little ones? You would think that even from a purely financial standpoint they wouldn't want that to happen. I have not had any luck making suggestions with my local pet store or the chain store here in town either. Very frustrating.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How is the little guy in the water going to get out?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
The two little leopards cannot get in the food or water. I tried to sink the dish in the best I could when the workers weren't looking. The baby Sulcata got in before I left.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well I got to see the other side of the coin ! The torts aren't on saw dust , they got water , and food( Evan though the food looks like saw dust ) ! But don't forget 5 years ago they didn't have that much . We must be gaining ground ( slowly ) . And people still go to the pet stores for advice ! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432427908.054822.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well I got to see the other side of the coin ! The torts aren't on saw dust , they got water , and food( Evan though the food looks like saw dust ) ! But don't forget 5 years ago they didn't have that much . We must be gaining ground ( slowly ) . And people still go to the pet stores for advice ! View attachment 131246
Better but still not very good. I realize that pet store set ups are never going to be great, it's not possible but they could at least to be decent. It's like going to the pet store and seeing the dogs and the cats in the little cages. Definitely not good but tolerable for a short amount of time if the cages are at least clean and the food is appropriate. By the way, I think your cartoon is kind of sick but also kind of funny :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Is that the tortoise in the top right part of the water bowl? It kind of looks like one. But maybe it's not.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Is that the tortoise in the top right part of the water bowl? It kind of looks like one. But maybe it's not.
Nope I blew it up as big as I could on the iPhone. No tort in the water.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Better but still not very good. I realize that pet store set ups are never going to be great, it's not possible but they could at least to be decent. It's like going to the pet store and seeing the dogs and the cats in the little cages. Definitely not good but tolerable for a short amount of time if the cages are at least clean and the food is appropriate. By the way, I think your cartoon is kind of sick but also kind of funny :)
I thought the cartoon is a lot like pet shops and true kind of sick and kind of funny !

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Wish I could of taken a picture of the pet shop I saw in Fuengirola, Spain at the weekend.
Three fair sized Greeks and four other big torts I didn't recognize together in a tank not much bigger than the one above, no food or water, dry wood substrate, coil bulb and two tiny leopards struggling to find room for themselves. One of them was clearly very ill, all swollen, eyes shut and twitching.
I complained and when I went back two days later, the ill one was gone and they'd added six more baby leopards.
I threw a wobbly, but I doubt anything will be done.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Wish I could of taken a picture of the pet shop I saw in Fuengirola, Spain at the weekend.
Three fair sized Greeks and four other big torts I didn't recognize together in a tank not much bigger than the one above, no food or water, dry wood substrate, coil bulb and two tiny leopards struggling to find room for themselves. One of them was clearly very ill, all swollen, eyes shut and twitching.
I complained and when I went back two days later, the ill one was gone and they'd added six more baby leopards.
I threw a wobbly, but I doubt anything will be done.
Once again hi! I agree with you: some pet shops (like businessmen) care for the money and not the pet, I very much regret to say.