how to measure your temps.CHEEP and EASY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ aria
I have news!!! you don't need to buy a 50$ temp gun OR a 50$ thermometer with wire probes to measure temps!!!

ALL YOU NEED IS TOOTH PICS, MASKING TAPE, A METAL COAT HANGER, HEAVY DUTY WIRE CUTTERS, AND A 10$ ONE OF THESE THINGY'S:

101_1618.JPG
101_1613.JPG
It's about the size of a chap stick container. all you do is point it at what you want it to tell you the temp of and press the button, if you hold the button it will keep updating the temp every few seconds. just remember that it measures the temp of whatever is in front of it in about a 30 degree angle (just like how a flashlight shines light). THIS DOES NOT READ AIR TEMP!!! IT MEASURES WHATS IN FRONT OF IT, EVEN IF IT'S 1 FOOT, OR 100!!!

here is how to measure air temp:

first get out a tooth pick (or however many you need), masking tape, and
scissors:

101_1615.JPG

then cut off about a half inch from the masking tape:

101_1619.JPG

take that little strip and fold it around the tip of the tooth pick to make a little square/rectangle:

101_1620.JPG

now (usually this is the only way to get the ''tooth pick probe" in the right spot) take the the wire cutters and cut the coat hanger to however long you need it to be, and the bend it or leave it strait depending on where you want the ''tooth pick probe'' to be then just tape the un-taped end of the tooth pick to the wire:

101_1626.JPG

now just put them wherever you want:
I have three in this pic
101_1632.JPG
I like to have a few spare ones to measure temps in other places around the enclosure also

101_1621.JPG

After a few moments, the tape will be the same temp as the air in that location and all you have to do is point the little temp gun at the tape and TADA! you have the air temp 101_1627.JPG:) you want the ground temp? just point it at the ground! IT'S THAT EASY!!!
:tort:

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's an amazing idea. Never thought to do something like that. However, couldn't you just point and shoot the temp of whatever is already at the level you want the temp of? Like say a hide log, a plant, top of rock? Shoot the temp at the different heights of the different items. Of course your idea, would be able to be used in places you don't already have something. I like the idea.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
you probable could do that but as you pointed out, you might (or probably) will not have a plant or something everywhere. one other thing: the tape is so thin that it gets to the right temp a LOT faster than a half log, come to think of it, a half log may never come to the right temp, and the ground temp can very 20-30 degrees from the air temp.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a great invention, Double Oh Seven! Keep thinking like that and you'll go places in the world! I have trouble with my infra-red point and shoot temp gun because the instructions say to hold it 2' away from whatever you are measuring. Well, without a ruler, I don't know 2'. And it you move up or down you get a different reading. So your invention is very helpful to me and thank you!!

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
like I said: it's just like a flashlight, only you cant see the light that it is emitting...But it can. if you are measuring something that small you have to hold it a lot closer(I hold it like half an inch away) or you might be getting the temp of what is behind it also. All it does is just measures the average temp all around the aria you are measuring, so if you hold it to far away it will also factor in the temp of what it is reading behind what you are really trying to read.(2 inches is about the length of your thumb)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You rock on, young man. Keep using that brain.

Just be careful your tortoise doesn't try to eat the tape.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
The whole probe thing makes no sense to me 0.o but the infrared gun is pretty neat. I was using a zoo mes reptiGun at work the other day....I hated that thing. Way too complicated and fancy functions and doesn't seem too accurate to me.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
theelectraco said:
The whole probe thing makes no sense to me 0.o but the infrared gun is pretty neat. I was using a zoo mes reptiGun at work the other day....I hated that thing. Way too complicated and fancy functions and doesn't seem too accurate to me.

I'm not sure if you know this but any infrared thermometer can NOT measure air temperature. all it does is just measure the average temp of surfaces. but if you can make a surface the same temp as the air that you want to measure, you can just measure that :) that's what the tooth pick with the tape on it is for. the tape on the end of the tooth pick is the same temp as the air in that location, so if you measure the tape, that temp is the same temp as the air in that spot, thus giving you the air temp :D . Make sense?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
tortoise007 said:
I'm not sure if you know this but any infrared thermometer can NOT measure air temperature. all it does is just measure the average temp of surfaces. but if you can make a surface the same temp as the air that you want to measure, you can just measure that :) that's what the tooth pick with the tape on it is for. the tape on the end of the tooth pick is the same temp as the air in that location, so if you measure the tape, that temp is the same temp as the air in that spot, thus giving you the air temp :D . Make sense?

Okay I understand now lol

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I have also tried using a meat thermometer, but it takes a long time for it to get an accurate temp, and while it's measuring, I'm afraid I'll stab one of the torts with it :( I would not recommend using a meat thermometer, but if it's the only thing you have it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.