Humidity

kcarlile08

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
I am struggling with keeping up my humidity. I covered the top of my enclosure except where the lights go through and wondered if using a fogger or mister would help or be too much?

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Make sure you do regularl misting also plants can help hold in humidity

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure you are using a reliable gauge. Pour warm water into the corners and dampen the top layer

kcarlile08

Montana
I am using a digital gauge and short of actually having standing water my substrate is very wet but my gauge never reads more than 65 to 70 percent. Another question I have is where should I place my gauge? Toward the bottom or top of enclosure?

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
What type of substrate are you using? I've found that having some live plants does wonders for keeping solid humidity percentages. I pour water in the corners, mainly in the warmest part of the enclosure.

kcarlile08

Montana
I use eco earth with a small amount of orchid bark. I am going to move my gauges down as they are a little over halfway up the side of enclosure

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
I use eco earth with a small amount of orchid bark. I am going to move my gauges down as they are a little over halfway up the side of enclosure
I've found that my coco coir (I believe that is what eco earth is) that is mixed with peat moss holds humidity well.
For me, the misters and foggers are unnecessary. I prefer pouring a substantial amount of water in the corners so it evaporates slowly, keeping the humidity consistent. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer to build a closed chamber that contains all the heating and lighting equipment inside. These are much more efficient, save a lot of energy and work better for the tortoises.

kcarlile08

Montana
Here is my enclosure right after misting. And tiggy in the hide with wet moss

Attachments

• 1442619262676.jpg
    1442619262676.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 1442619420339.jpg
    1442619420339.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 18