I Need Help! which substrate or bedding should i use?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JensenEmpire

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
I need help picking a substrate for my new Sulcata. I have read a bunch of different things to use. I am thinking about mixing organic soil mixed with large wood chips or mulch. Is that a good idea os is there something better to use?? Thanks :shy:

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
A lot of people here will recommend cypress mulch, and I like it personally, it is fairly cheap if you can find it at a lowes or a home depot, and holds humidity well. If your Sulcata is a hatchling just make sure it is pressed down a bit for better footing for him, I would also pick out any large chunks that might get in his way.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
+1 for cypress mulch ( I bought mine for Approx $8 @ Petco) They don't sell it @ Home depot or Lowes here in So Cal

M

Maggie Cummings

Cypress mulch (Lowe's or Home Depot) or small grade orchid bark. Nothing with large pieces in it...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We each have our favorites. And there are very few that are strictly no-no. Whatever works for you and your baby, well, that is the best.

Steer clear of Repti-sand, crushed walnut shells, rabbit or alfalfa pellets and pine bedding. Anything else would probably be just fine.

My personal favorite is cypress mulch. I can't find it here (Central California) so I have to buy it in small bags at the pet stores. It is sold as Jungle Bed, Forest Floor, Cypress Bed...all the same thing. And all good, however, expensive in these small bags.

My second fave is the fine grade orchid bark. Orchids are very sensitive and won't grow if their medium contains any pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers, so the orchid bark is a good choice for baby tortoises. I prefer the "fine" grade over the medium or large because its easy for the babies to walk on.

I tried a 50/50 mixture of coconut coir/Playsand and I didn't like the strings in the coir. I was always having to pull strings out of one end or the other of my babies.

I have used clean dirt (an oxymoron?) from the yard and I liked that too, but it tends to get on the tortoise's food.

Can we see some pictures of your baby and his enclosure?

Oh, and:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

JensenEmpire

5 Year Member
Phoenix
Thanks everyone! you guys have been a big help, im going to petsmart, lowes, and home depot tomrrow to experment and see which one works best

Status
Not open for further replies.