I received an interesting response about Mazuri

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use Mazuri. I have for almost a decade now. However, on another site, a very well known Redfoot breeder cautioned me about Mazuri and with his permission, this is what he sent to me:

"Commercial foods like Mazuri are primarily soy and grain based and the lectins in grains and the phytic acid in soy cause all manner of issues for tortoises.
Phytic acid blocks the uptake of a number of minerals critical to overall tortoise function and the lectins in grains cause lower G.I. issues."

This person also suggests feeding Redfoot tortoises a diet that is primarily fruit. As much as 80%.

I just thought I would pass this along to share and ponder over.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Interesting he would say that and then say feed primarily fruit. That's a lot of sugar. I'm not disagreeing on the mazuri part. However that seems too large of a percentage to be fruit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What was this person basing these assertions on?

I've been feeding Mazuri for many years and I have no mineral deficiencies or imbalances, and I also have tortoises with healthy lower GI tracts.

The evidence in front of all of our noses seems to contradict this person's assertions.

Since I have very limited RF experience, I really can't comment on the fruit thing, but that would not be good for any of the species I keep.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I didn't get permission to use his name , but he's a very well thought of Florida breeder and keeper.
I kind of posted his response as a question to the "collective".
I'll ask to use his name and see if he wishes to take part in our conversation.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
ZEROPILOTis considering fruit? post: 1211157 said:
I use Mazuri. I have for almost a decade now. However, on another site, a very well known Redfoot breeder cautioned me about Mazuri and with his permission, this is what he sent to me:

"Commercial foods like Mazuri are primarily soy and grain based and the lectins in grains and the phytic acid in soy cause all manner of issues for tortoises.
Phytic acid blocks the uptake of a number of minerals critical to overall tortoise function and the lectins in grains cause lower G.I. issues."

This person also suggests feeding Redfoot tortoises a diet that is primarily fruit. As much as 80%.

I just thought I would pass this along to share and ponder over.

I wonder what he considers fruit? Perhaps more in line with fruit not of the sweet type..I mean there are a lot of items considered fruit that are not sweet...I too have backed off of mazuri as a matter of personal choice based on the ingredient lists..it reminds me more of a dog food type list , if that makes sense..I am however not bashing the item just offering my personal choice, which we all do...

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
This reminds me of the seed debate in the parrot world. Most avian veterinarians, at least in my area, will tell any bird owner to feed ONLY pellets. Even for seed eaters such as Cockatiels. Yet, pellets don't grow on trees in the grasslands of Australia or in the rain forests in South America. I had a very well-respected avian vet tell me one time that feeding 1 almond to my Amazon was like me eating 10 donuts. REALLY...10 DONUTS!!???

After gathering many, many different opinions over the years on the subject and adding in my own personal, first hand experience, I've decided that variety is the key. I'm starting to lean that way with my tortoises also. Never too much of one thing, but as much variety as possible.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
HE SHE makes it sound like 10 donuts is wrong? did he happen to mention what GI issues are involved?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And what does he say about people like Ed Pirog who use a lot of Mazuri and profess that all is well?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm always interested in learning new things that's why I'm asking.my red foot has been eating Mazuri twice a week and a low fruit diet for years now seems to be doing pretty good in my honest opinion.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm always interested in learning new things that's why I'm asking.my red foot has been eating Mazuri twice a week and a low fruit diet for years now seems to be doing pretty good in my honest opinion.
You and me both. Fruit intake no greater than 10% and Mazuri about once every week or two.

Alaskamike

South Florida
There is a good synopsis of the mazuri tortoise food here
https://www.mazuri.com › product_pdfs

It was written by the manufacturer. So obviously from their perspective.
Personally, I've had very good results from a 20% mazuri diet with young ones. And trust it due to the research they did in formulation.