I want a dog

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Last night we caught 2 dogs running around, no collars, we thought maybe they had been dumped. 2 beautiful springer spaniels. Called the police and they told us someone on the next road had been looking for their dogs. I was devastated, I really had hoped someone dumped them (horrible I know) because that's the same way we got our cat. But the owners came and got them before I even got to see them. My dads even admitted today if they were dumped it would have been hard to not keep them they were so friendly.
I've wanted a dog for years and my dad even just used the words "we're not ready for one yet" ... So we could be. I want to start research start thinking into medium sized breeds, dog training and general care. We have a cat, he's not too cool with dogs doesn't beat them up or anything he just doesn't like them. So getting a dog ok with cats will be a must, but how can we make the cat ok with a dog so it's fair to him.
We have a large yard, during the day on good days id have a pen built and keep them out (escape proofed) and locked, that's ok right? Then inside among people for the night and into a crate for bed in the finished basement where the cat lives. I would no doubt find an older shelter dog or at least any shelter dog not a puppy.
Any suggestions or places to point me?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427387546.041064.jpg

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Check out petfinder.com for shelters in your area for cat friendly dogs. There many dogs that get on well with dogs (right now my dachshund is curled with her foster cat son).

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My dog is a lab/springer spaniel mix. She is great with all animals. But I raised her to be that way. When you get an adult dog it is harder to tell. Petfinders is good, and also local shelters or rescues that have tested the dog with the cat is a good plan. One thing about the crate, I suggest doing proper crate training, so your dog doesn't think of it as a jail. And dogs usually like a crate somewhere near the family like in a bedroom or a quiet corner of the living room etc. just down in the basement away from everybody isn't going to make it happy in my opinion. Being in the pen outside while everybody is at work or school during the day is fine. But a dog needs some attention, take it for walks or playing fetch etc. whenever you can every day. I got my first dog from the Humane Society and my second one from an ad in the newspaper. I got them both as puppies. But there are wonderful adult dogs out there too, good luck and I hope you find a good one soon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When you find the dog you want to get, ask to leave a blanket with the dog for a couple days before bringing the dog home. Then, bring the blanket home and put it in an area that the cat is in a lot, but not in the actual favorite places the cat likes to lay. Then after the blanket has been there for a couple days, bring the dog home. Do not force the cat on the dog. Do not let the dog force itself onto the cat. Let them figure it out on their own. They will either tolerate each other or not. But both will find a way to be okay with each other in the same house.
I have always had cats and dogs and never had a problem with either, and I have had many of each.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Your cat will eventually get used to the dog, if the dog does not chase the cat that is. Even if they never end up best buddies they will learn to live with each other just fine. Chances are the cat will run the house.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It was the most amazing thing. I have many cats that have adopted my home as theirs. They live outside. When I got my dog she was a lively 3 month old wild thing. None of the outside cats ran from her. In fact, two of them actually sought her out and tried to rub against her (asking to be petted). Misty will chase the cats if they run, but it's all in fun. The cats seem to encourage the chase game. But they usually don't run. They get along just fine.

I think if you get a puppy or a young dog, the dog will respect that the cat was there first, and if the cat doesn't run, they'll soon learn to live in harmony.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
My dog is a lab/springer spaniel mix. She is great with all animals. But I raised her to be that way. When you get an adult dog it is harder to tell. Petfinders is good, and also local shelters or rescues that have tested the dog with the cat is a good plan. One thing about the crate, I suggest doing proper crate training, so your dog doesn't think of it as a jail. And dogs usually like a crate somewhere near the family like in a bedroom or a quiet corner of the living room etc. just down in the basement away from everybody isn't going to make it happy in my opinion. Being in the pen outside while everybody is at work or school during the day is fine. But a dog needs some attention, take it for walks or playing fetch etc. whenever you can every day. I got my first dog from the Humane Society and my second one from an ad in the newspaper. I got them both as puppies. But there are wonderful adult dogs out there too, good luck and I hope you find a good one soon.
I would 100% make sure he/she was properly crate trained and crated, no question about it, a crate isn't a prison it's a safe place, the dogs room, dogs bed. Our basement is finished and my brother actually has a little game room there and it's the other half to our downstairs, not really a basement I guess by standards.
The dog would get attention while I'm home, walks playing, lounging and watching tv while being petted.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
When you find the dog you want to get, ask to leave a blanket with the dog for a couple days before bringing the dog home. Then, bring the blanket home and put it in an area that the cat is in a lot, but not in the actual favorite places the cat likes to lay. Then after the blanket has been there for a couple days, bring the dog home. Do not force the cat on the dog. Do not let the dog force itself onto the cat. Let them figure it out on their own. They will either tolerate each other or not. But both will find a way to be okay with each other in the same house.
I have always had cats and dogs and never had a problem with either, and I have had many of each.
I think my biggest worry is the cat deciding to start marking, I mean he sometimes pees on stuff if it's "messy" (not his box, the floor...) so I don't want to make that worse.
I do like the blanket idea though, get each other to know about the other.
I just want them to "get along" I'm the sense the dog won't try to eat/attack the cat. Which I know is tricky to find in a shelter dog where even other dog friendly is difficult to find.
Funny how "curiosity killed the cat" yet my cats not even curious about dogs he's basically like nope I want nothing to do with that.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Your cat will eventually get used to the dog, if the dog does not chase the cat that is. Even if they never end up best buddies they will learn to live with each other just fine. Chances are the cat will run the house.
Wonder if it makes a difference that my cats around 12-14 years...

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
It was the most amazing thing. I have many cats that have adopted my home as theirs. They live outside. When I got my dog she was a lively 3 month old wild thing. None of the outside cats ran from her. In fact, two of them actually sought her out and tried to rub against her (asking to be petted). Misty will chase the cats if they run, but it's all in fun. The cats seem to encourage the chase game. But they usually don't run. They get along just fine.

I think if you get a puppy or a young dog, the dog will respect that the cat was there first, and if the cat doesn't run, they'll soon learn to live in harmony.
I think the problem about getting a puppy is we dont have the time to raise and train it properly. I mean not that wouldn't give a dog attention but during the day it would be left outside to its own devices (plenty of toys and comforts of course) until we got home.

My car would be a runner... Why can't they just understand that that's why starts the chase!!

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

My old Border Terrier eventually made friends with the (old and grumpy) cat. And they don't come much madder than that, so if you're ready for a dog I have no doubts that you'll find one. Please do rescue.