ISO reputable breeder/rescue Leopard & Radiated

Momsteere

Location (City and/or State)
Ridgeway VA
We are seeking a good tort for our educational program for InfinityAcres.org. 276-358-2378
Prefer to get from a reliable reputable source!
Recommendations please

zovick

10 Year Member!
We are seeking a good tort for our educational program for InfinityAcres.org. 276-358-2378
Recommendations please
Are you aware that to get a Radiated Tortoise from any state other than VA you will need a CBW Permit from the USFWS? Those permits are virtually impossible to get these days.

If you can talk someone from another state into donating one or giving one to you for absolutely zero compensation of any kind (not even a trade for other animals is allowed), then no permit would be required.

Unfortunately, I do not know any breeders of Radiated Tortoises in VA or I would be able to give you a lead within you own state.

Momsteere

Ridgeway VA
Are you aware that to get a Radiated Tortoise from any state other than VA you will need a CBW Permit from the USFWS? Those permits are virtually impossible to get these days.

If you can talk someone from another state into donating one or giving one to you for absolutely zero compensation of any kind (not even a trade for other animals is allowed), then no permit would be required.

Unfortunately, I do not know any breeders of Radiated Tortoises in VA or I would be able to give you a lead within you own state.
Thank you for that info! Guess I'll stick with Leopard! Any suggestions for that?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you for that info! Guess I'll stick with Leopard! Any suggestions for that?
There is a fellow named Frank Patinella from Trinity, NC (about an hour south of you) who may have Leopard Tortoises or know someone who does have them in your area. He has been around for a while so may have some good contacts. His business is called Coldblooded Novelties. It is on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/coldblooded.novelties/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is a fellow named Frank Patinella from Trinity, NC (about an hour south of you) who may have Leopard Tortoises or know someone who does have them in your area. He has been around for a while so may have some good contacts. His business is called Coldblooded Novelties. It is on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/coldblooded.novelties/
Wow, he has a lot of reptiles and turtles. Do you know this person? Just wondering. Anyone that breeds that many different species, is a personal sign for me to stay away.
Like dog breeders. More than two breeds, three tops and I'm running from them. Same with if they have too many. The care can just never be as good as it should be.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Wow, he has a lot of reptiles and turtles. Do you know this person? Just wondering. Anyone that breeds that many different species, is a personal sign for me to stay away.
Like dog breeders. More than two breeds, three tops and I'm running from them. Same with if they have too many. The care can just never be as good as it should be.
I don't know him personally, but have friends who have dealt with him and had no troubles.

I understand what you are saying about dogs, but reptiles are not the same as mammals and need much less day-to-day attention and socialization. A person can keep quite a few more reptiles than mammals and still do a good job. I've done it myself. I used to breed 5 species of tortoises and several species of snakes, PLUS breed and show Rough Collies, all at the same time, and was quite successful doing so.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Recommendations please
Check this out:

And some helpful info here:

You might be better off with a smaller species that will be easier to house indoor in winter in your area. Something like a hermanni or a Russian. Just something to look into...

Momsteere

Ridgeway VA
Check this out:

And some helpful info here:

You might be better off with a smaller species that will be easier to house indoor in winter in your area. Something like a hermanni or a Russian. Just something to look into...
1000023273.jpgwe have had Matrix the Sulcata for nearly 30 years! He is awesome for on site activities, but too big now for us to take off site, so we are looking into another tort species that is colorful & interesting!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know him personally, but have friends who have dealt with him and had no troubles.

I understand what you are saying about dogs, but reptiles are not the same as mammals and need much less day-to-day attention and socialization. A person can keep quite a few more reptiles than mammals and still do a good job. I've done it myself. I used to breed 5 species of tortoises and several species of snakes, PLUS breed and show Rough Collies, all at the same time, and was quite successful doing so.
True, dogs are more work, I used to raise and show dogs too, low maintenance ones though, Chinese Shar-Pei. But wow, the daily cleaning of all those cages, yikes. Makes me tired thinking of it. I am much older now though lol