Jacques, the Eastern Mud Turtle

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I heard from the vet’s office today. Jacques is doing very well, but will need injections every 3 days for 1-2 weeks. Due to my work and hubby’s work, and the distance to the vet, bringing her home and having a 3-hr drive twice a week in the middle of the day would be a challenge. We discussed cost, and for them to keep her in a sort of “rehab” status (basically boarding there to get her shots) is not bad at all. So she’ll be “boarding” there for another 1-2 weeks. Due to their slow metabolisms, the doc is not really looking for her blood counts to have changed much in just 1 week, so she’ll get a blood count on the 20th.

It’s all looking very good, and very manageable![emoji2][emoji106]
Praise the Lord! What wonderful news! Doing a happy dance for you and Jacques! [emoji126]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I heard from the vet’s office today. Jacques is doing very well, but will need injections every 3 days for 1-2 weeks. Due to my work and hubby’s work, and the distance to the vet, bringing her home and having a 3-hr drive twice a week in the middle of the day would be a challenge. We discussed cost, and for them to keep her in a sort of “rehab” status (basically boarding there to get her shots) is not bad at all. So she’ll be “boarding” there for another 1-2 weeks. Due to their slow metabolisms, the doc is not really looking for her blood counts to have changed much in just 1 week, so she’ll get a blood count on the 20th.

Oh that is awesome news. You have got yourself a winner vet. I am so glad that they have her. Hopefully these 2 weeks sort it out permanently.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thank you, CarolM! :):<3:

Thank you, Destben! :):<3:

Thank you, bouaboua! :):<3:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

It sounds positive Bea. Fingers crossed for continued improvement. xx

Bee62

Germany

Good news ! That is fantastic. Jaques is a real fighter.:tort::<3:
Have you discussed with the VET to clean her whole aquarium completely and desinfect it to minimize the risk of a reinfection ?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Good news ! That is fantastic. Jaques is a real fighter.:tort::<3:
Have you discussed with the VET to clean her whole aquarium completely and desinfect it to minimize the risk of a reinfection ?
Thanks, Bee! :):<3:
Yes, I've discussed this idea with my vet, and he doesn't think it's necessary. He says that the problem is not the organism in the water, the problem is that aquarium water with all sorts of organisms in it got into her lungs when she had the near drowning. Lungs are never meant to have water in them, so organisms that don't make her sick under normal conditions caused infection when they got into her lungs. I believe @mark1 said this same thing. That makes sense to me, and I'm ok with it.

But although I am not going to disinfect the whole tank, I DID order one of those UV sterilizer filters to put in it. That seems like a reasonable compromise! ;) :)

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Happy everything is going better, hopefully she'll be home before you know it. Sounds like you really have a great vet. Best of luck who you guys.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Happy everything is going better, hopefully she'll be home before you know it. Sounds like you really have a great vet. Best of luck who you guys.

Thanks, Jay! [emoji2][emoji173]️
I’m actually feeling quite good about it all, especially that she’s NOT acutely ill, but is just in a “rehab” phase.[emoji106]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Any Jacques updates?

She came home today!
They said her blood counts are good, and she’ll get rechecked in 2 weeks. In addition to the antibiotics, they treated her for parasites and she’ll get a second treatment in 2 weeks. Good thing I got the UV sterilizer: I imagine that should help with parasites!

I’ve made changes in her tank yet again: added some old bricks to use for a basking platform. She’s not at all certain about the bricks, and has been eyeing them suspiciously! [emoji38]

Jacques: "You HAD to change my tank up again, didn't you????"

IMG_9636.JPG

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
She came home today!
They said her blood counts are good, and she’ll get rechecked in 2 weeks. In addition to the antibiotics, they treated her for parasites and she’ll get a second treatment in 2 weeks. Good thing I got the UV sterilizer: I imagine that should help with parasites!

I’ve made changes in her tank yet again: added some old bricks to use for a basking platform. She’s not at all certain about the bricks, and has been eyeing them suspiciously! [emoji38]
Yay. Welcome home Jacques. Enjoy having her home again Bea.