Jacques, the Eastern Mud Turtle

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
She came home today!
They said her blood counts are good, and she’ll get rechecked in 2 weeks. In addition to the antibiotics, they treated her for parasites and she’ll get a second treatment in 2 weeks. Good thing I got the UV sterilizer: I imagine that should help with parasites!

I’ve made changes in her tank yet again: added some old bricks to use for a basking platform. She’s not at all certain about the bricks, and has been eyeing them suspiciously! [emoji38]

Jacques: "You HAD to change my tank up again, didn't you????"

View attachment 236522
Excellent news Bea. I hope the shrimps behave themeselves and look after her too :D Welcome home Jacques :)

Destben

Kansas
She came home today!
They said her blood counts are good, and she’ll get rechecked in 2 weeks. In addition to the antibiotics, they treated her for parasites and she’ll get a second treatment in 2 weeks. Good thing I got the UV sterilizer: I imagine that should help with parasites!

I’ve made changes in her tank yet again: added some old bricks to use for a basking platform. She’s not at all certain about the bricks, and has been eyeing them suspiciously! [emoji38]

View attachment 236522

Yay!!!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
She came home today!

View attachment 236522
The tank looks awesome Bea and Hello there Jacques you beautiful little turtle. Welcome home!!!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
She came home today!

View attachment 236522

Oh dear. Whenever she steps out for a moment, mama makes some changes to her tank! :eek: ;)
Welcome home, Jacques! [emoji173]️

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Jacques is very unsettled about the bricks and is hiding in the back where it’s hard to get photos of her.
I can really see what the experienced turtle keepers have said: turtles are slow to adjust to changes. [emoji51]
Her current tank is a 20 gal long, which is really too small. She struggles to get past the bricks to the other end of the tank because of the space they take.
I better get to work on her 40 gal breeder!!! [emoji2][emoji106]

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
possibly blocking the ends and back of the tank so she can't see out may make her more comfortable ....... they definitely like to hide .........

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
She came home today!

View attachment 236522

What a great news! I just love that face!

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
Jacques is very unsettled about the bricks and is hiding in the back where it’s hard to get photos of her.
I can really see what the experienced turtle keepers have said: turtles are slow to adjust to changes. [emoji51]
Her current tank is a 20 gal long, which is really too small. She struggles to get past the bricks to the other end of the tank because of the space they take.
I better get to work on her 40 gal breeder!!! [emoji2][emoji106]

Will you keep the water depth the same?
The bricks seem like a good addition and a bigger tank would solve the space problem.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Will you keep the water depth the same?
The bricks seem like a good addition and a bigger tank would solve the space problem.

I’m keeping the water depth around 4-5 inches. Yes, her new tank will give her LOTS more space!
I bought a cork dock today and will see if that can replace some of the bricks. That would give her more room plus something else to hide under! [emoji2][emoji106]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Ever since Jacques' near drowning back in December, I have been obsessed with keeping her safe and NOT getting trapped under anything where she could drown again. That's been the main reason I've had trouble figuring out a basking platform for her- although it looks like the stack of bricks should work! :)

She got my adrenalin going again this morning, whether she actually MEANT to or not!!!!
A while back I put a sponge on the bottom of the pump intake because it kept sucking up the ghost shrimp. This morning I found Jacques wedged underneath the sponge and the bottom of the tank. Since I'm keeping the tank bare-bottomed right now, the glass bottom is slick, of course, so it's hard to get any traction on it. It looked like she was struggling to get out from under the sponge, so I reached in and pushed her through from the back. She just sat there looking at me. o_O
A little while later, there she was AGAIN: :eek: wedged between the sponge and the bottom of the tank!!! But this time I noticed she was sort shimmying from side to side and realized she was SCRATCHING HER BACK!!!!!!!! :confused:
As soon as she saw me grab my camera, of course, she stopped and just looked up at me...:rolleyes:

Jacques: "Whut?.....I'm scratching my back, Ma!!!!! Get a life!!!!!!"

IMG_9664.JPG