Jacques, the Eastern Mud Turtle

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Maybe you should do the salmon dance in front of her, so that she can be reminded how it is done. Besides it just might cheer her up, to see her human is finally starting to get with the program she has been trying to teach you all this time.;)

But seriously, As I am often reminded on reading lots of posts about our little babies, torts are slow, so they will probably be slow on the healing process as well. If you think about it, it takes a long time for them to start showing the symptoms of being ill, so it follows that it will also take a long time for them to get completely back to their old selves. Hang in there and start practicing the salmon dance in front of her. If nothing else at least you will provide some entertainment...... for the flies on the wall.:D:D

LOVE.IT!!!!
THANKS, Carol- you gave me a much needed laugh!!! [emoji38][emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Speedy says come on jacques remember this!
This last photo makes me want to break out singing, "Born free, as free as . . .". Freedom from disease and the follow-up healing process. Really, Jacques. . . we're all still pulling for you. On another note, won't Jacques even try for a ghost shrimp anymore? Poor baby.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
This last photo makes me want to break out singing, "Born free, as free as . . .". Freedom from disease and the follow-up healing process. Really, Jacques. . . we're all still pulling for you. On another note, won't Jacques even try for a ghost shrimp anymore? Poor baby.
Thanks, Orv! :):<3:
Nope- she doesn't even seem to notice them except when they try to steal her salmon. And even then, she just watches them take it. Not at all like she used to be.
Once my work is more settled I'll be able to put more time into getting her 40 gal tank going. Hubby has promised to help. :<3:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Nope- she doesn't even seem to notice them except when they try to steal her salmon. And even then, she just watches them take it. Not at all like she used to be.
Once my work is more settled I'll be able to put more time into getting her 40 gal tank going. Hubby has promised to help. :<3:
Just tell Jacques that her fans are waiting for her to come back to us. And not to let the meerkat and ghost shrimp to win. She will understand.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Well, she’s ok but she seems different since all her health problems. She’s not nearly as active or responsive as she used to be. Just sort of hangs around.
I have been wondering if she got some brain damage that affected her personality. [emoji19]

Still only eats salmon, but never does “the salmon dance” any more.[emoji22]
My heart is breaking for Jacques...and you! Have you called the vet who cared for her and asked what he thinks this could be? Wasn't she behaving fairly normally between the bouts of illness? How was she when she came home the 2nd time?
Sorry to fire questions at you...I'm upset by this disturbing outcome, as I know everyone else is!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Oh, MY.
You guys/gals TOTALLY amaze me with your attention and affection for Jacques. :<3: I am so grateful that it makes me tear up a bit, but that's not bad: I'm just so grateful.

She seemed ok at first, but after her 2nd stay at the vet is when she seemed different. Just less responsive and more retiring. Maybe all that time in the hospital was just a bit much for her. I don't know.
Because she had been sick more than once after the near-drowning, the vet had wanted to see her for a 2 week check up and then one MORE check up a month after that, just to make SURE she was staying well. Tomorrow will be that month appointment. I think that she is probably physically fine: she eats her salmon and boycotts anything else (so THAT hasn't changed!!!! :p)

My doctor friend who reminded me that brains continue to heal for a year and more after injury got me to thinking about other examples. Hubby and I have a friend who was trying to fix a connection between his truck and a trailer, and was lying on the road under the trailer. He saw a loop of wire hanging down, and pulled it out, thinking "What the heck is this?" The INSTANT he pulled it he suddenly knew it was the wire to the emergency brake! One wheel of the trailer rolled over his HEAD, causing several fractures. Luckily someone was with him and got him to a hospital. For about a year after the injury, he could't concentrate well enough to work, couldn't stand bright lights or ANY noise: he said it was all MAGNIFIED and much more intense on his injured brain than he ever imagined. But he slowly, slowly got better, and after about a year and half was pretty much recovered.

I know that when brains are deprived of oxygen, they swell. The swelling presses the brain against the skull and that's where the problems come in. The doctors use meds to keep the swelling down, when people are recovering from acute brain injury. In Jacque's case, I have no doubt she had some brain swelling from her near drowning: she acted spacey and dazed for weeks afterwards. I wonder if the additional infections and the stress of the 2 hospitalizations just got overwhelming for her?
Anyways, I will ask the doctor when i see him tomorrow.

And I will remember how long it took our friend to fully recover from his brain injury, and will just try and be patient with Jacques.

Thank you, THANK YOU ALL for your kind words. You fill my heart.
:<3::<3::<3::<3::<3:

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
Thank you for taking the time to write such a long reply. I have been so sad about your valiant effort for Jacques and for the state she is currently in. It would be a powerful testament of the enduring will of a living being no matter how small it may seem if your turtle is able to fully recover her former vivacious self. But no kind act is ever lost. The fact that this saga has touched positively many people on this forum proves that. Thank you for sharing.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Oh, MY.
You guys/gals TOTALLY amaze me with your attention and affection for Jacques. :<3: I am so grateful that it makes me tear up a bit, but that's not bad: I'm just so grateful.

She seemed ok at first, but after her 2nd stay at the vet is when she seemed different. Just less responsive and more retiring. Maybe all that time in the hospital was just a bit much for her. I don't know.
Because she had been sick more than once after the near-drowning, the vet had wanted to see her for a 2 week check up and then one MORE check up a month after that, just to make SURE she was staying well. Tomorrow will be that month appointment. I think that she is probably physically fine: she eats her salmon and boycotts anything else (so THAT hasn't changed!!!! :p)

My doctor friend who reminded me that brains continue to heal for a year and more after injury got me to thinking about other examples. Hubby and I have a friend who was trying to fix a connection between his truck and a trailer, and was lying on the road under the trailer. He saw a loop of wire hanging down, and pulled it out, thinking "What the heck is this?" The INSTANT he pulled it he suddenly knew it was the wire to the emergency brake! One wheel of the trailer rolled over his HEAD, causing several fractures. Luckily someone was with him and got him to a hospital. For about a year after the injury, he could't concentrate well enough to work, couldn't stand bright lights or ANY noise: he said it was all MAGNIFIED and much more intense on his injured brain than he ever imagined. But he slowly, slowly got better, and after about a year and half was pretty much recovered.

I know that when brains are deprived of oxygen, they swell. The swelling presses the brain against the skull and that's where the problems come in. The doctors use meds to keep the swelling down, when people are recovering from acute brain injury. In Jacque's case, I have no doubt she had some brain swelling from her near drowning: she acted spacey and dazed for weeks afterwards. I wonder if the additional infections and the stress of the 2 hospitalizations just got overwhelming for her?
Anyways, I will ask the doctor when i see him tomorrow.

And I will remember how long it took our friend to fully recover from his brain injury, and will just try and be patient with Jacques.

Thank you, THANK YOU ALL for your kind words. You fill my heart.
:<3::<3::<3::<3::<3:
Thats the spirit. Stay positive and it will get better. :):<3::tort:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

To be fair she was never very good at challenging the shrimps!