MY BABY TORTOISE IS BARELY MOVING AND ITS EYES ARE CLOSED AND WONT OPEN!

alkkuzya

Location (City and/or State)
Marbella
I have 2 tortoises which I got about 8 months ago. One of them is very healthy, grows pretty quick and always eats and moves around the terrarium. However, my other one, has not grown at all and barely eats and moves around. I have always made sure they stay hydrated so that the humidity level is stable. But somehow, the smaller one just started getting worse and worse every day: it has its eyes closed and is not moving around or eating at all.
Also, I tried to make it drink water mixed with fresh carrot, as I read that it gives it vitamin A.
If anyone knows or has had the same thing happen to their tortoise, could you please tell me what the best method would be to increase its size and make it as active as the other one?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Do you keep them together? what are your
1. Temps
2. Humidity levels
3. Light sources- UVB and other and times to come on and off
4. Heat Sources- type where at and temps
5. Food types fed
6. Substrate
please include pictures so we may help you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It's kinda important for those that will give you advice to know, species, how set up, temps...It sounds like a classic case of bullying to me. You wouldn't notice it, bullying can also be mental. Tortoises fight for the best sleeping spot, the food, water, and stuff like that Tortoises by nature are loners, Take the sick tort and set it up alone, treat it the same, food, heat etc.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It's kinda important for those that will give you advice to know, species, how set up, temps...It sounds like a classic case of bullying to me. You wouldn't notice it, bullying can also be mental. Tortoises fight for the best sleeping spot, the food, water, and stuff like that Tortoises by nature are loners, Take the sick tort and set it up alone, treat it the same, food, heat etc.
and I'll bet you see a difference in a few days...but do it now...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maggie is right on. Tortoises almost NEVER do well when kept in pairs, regardless of their gender. You need to set the sickly one up in his own little hospital tank, with the temperature day and night around 80-85F degrees. Soak him every day for about 45 minutes to an hour in a 50/50 mixture of strained baby food carrots and warm water. You should start to notice a difference in three days. Once his eyes are open he'll be more interested in eating. Please keep us in the loop.

alkkuzya

Marbella
Do you keep them together? what are your
1. Temps
2. Humidity levels
3. Light sources- UVB and other and times to come on and off
4. Heat Sources- type where at and temps
5. Food types fed
6. Substrate
please include pictures so we may help you.

The temperature in the terrarium is normally 28.
I'm not exactly sure about the humidity levels
The UVB source, I'm not exactly sure as when I went to the zoo shop they recommended me to take the 100W UVB bulb. I turn it off at night and during the day for 30 minutes to one hour.
I feed them different types of food, starting with the dry flower mix, normally lettuce, carrots and sometimes strawberries to increase the glucose level.
The substrate I use is the coco fiber for the reptiles.

IMG_3854.JPGIMG_4761.JPG

Luv3_liv

Lebanon
I have 2 tortoises which I got about 8 months ago. One of them is very healthy, grows pretty quick and always eats and moves around the terrarium. However, my other one, has not grown at all and barely eats and moves around. I have always made sure they stay hydrated so that the humidity level is stable. But somehow, the smaller one just started getting worse and worse every day: it has its eyes closed and is not moving around or eating at all.
Also, I tried to make it drink water mixed with fresh carrot, as I read that it gives it vitamin A.
If anyone knows or has had the same thing happen to their tortoise, could you please tell me what the best method would be to increase its size and make it as active as the other one?
Same, I put my baby tortoise everyday in warm water and carrot juice but she's not improving and I put her in the sun every morning, she moves but she doesn't eat and both of her eyes are closed and cloudy, I Don't know what to do. And plus she's the tiniest tortoise species

Luv3_liv

Lebanon
Same, I put my baby tortoise everyday in warm water and carrot juice but she's not improving and I put her in the sun every morning, she moves but she doesn't eat and both of her eyes are closed and cloudy, I Don't know what to do. And plus she's the tiniest tortoise species
So if you have any suggestions let me know asp

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
Hi if you make your own post about your little one and include your set up and temps and food you feed then it will make it easier for people to help you.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
How long is it sick like this?
You should soak it in the water with carrot puree (baby carrot food) for 30-60 minutes and offer some fine chopped food right after the soak. Water should be 85-90F for all time. Also, you need to keep your baby tortoise warm all the time (no less than 80F all night and day).

Please, create your own thread with some photos of your tortoise and its enclosure.

Luv3_liv

Lebanon
You should soak it in the water with carrot puree (baby carrot food) for 30-60 minutes and offer some fine chopped food right after the soak. Water should be 85-90F for all time. Also, you need to keep your baby tortoise warm all the time (no less than 80F all night and day).

Please, create your own thread with some photos of your tortoise and its enclosure.
Idk like 1week or so, I did that but she's still not eating and she lives in a big enclosure with grass and a bowl of water

Luv3_liv

Lebanon

I don't have baby food so I blend water and carrots (carrot soak)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Unfortunately, I don't have a better advice... :(

Please use green "Post thread..." button on the top right to start your own thread and more experienced members will try to help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Idk like 1week or so, I did that but she's still not eating and she lives in a big enclosure with grass and a bowl of water
Does the tortoise live alone?

How are you heating and lighting? What are the four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

Where did the grass in the enclosure come from?

Can you post pictures of the tortoise and the enclosure?