Naughty Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

emlukken

5 Year Member
This past week I've noticed that Arthur has been filling his water bowl up with dirt and moss. Today I came home to find that he rearranged some rocks/moss in his house AND filled his food bowl completely up with dirt! Is he trying to tell me something??

Attachments

• Naughty Artie.jpg
    Naughty Artie.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 100

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
yes..."Welcome to the messy world of tortoise-keeping!"

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Welcome to TFO :D Wilbur has done that to. I wound up putting his food and water bowl on a stepping stone that I took from outside and put in his enclosure. That seemed to help, plus that is where he likes to bask. I hope that helps.:D

emlukken

5 Year Member
Well it sounds like that is just what tortoises do. I thought it was pretty funny myself. I plan to setup a video camera to catch him in the act. If he does do it again I will speed up the video and post it.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
On a similar note, my two boxies are just as bad. I used to change the water "swim" bowl twice a day. Until they started dumping burrowing under it. I removed all of the Sphagnum moss and rinsed it, then replaced it making the whole enclosure much more "fluffy" moss. I got a temperature and humidity sensor from Lowes for $20.
They still soil the swim bowl, but do not dump the swim bowl or the drinking water.

I know box turtles are not tortoises, but they're all chelonians

Status
Not open for further replies.