New Here... Need Help Please

LittleBit

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville
Why I am here, is it's nails or beak long? I have no clue about this. Would someone reject it for a new home based on how she or he looks?

The exotic vet we have here, has never seen one :( ;( couldn't tell me anything. I hope I'm not hurting her or him.
My son calls it little-bit when he visits. But it is massively strong, trys to almost herd me if I am in the way; moved my rocking chair across the floor.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Just post that you have a Sulcata tortoise that "needs a new home."
Make sure that any respondents show you where and how they intent to keep it. And it's my opinion that you should avoid brand new members that pop up whenever a discounted tortoise shows up.
I would also suggest charging a fee of at least $100.
(Of course that is all up to you)
Best of luck to you both.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Why I am here, is it's nails or beak long? I have no clue about this. Would someone reject it for a new home based on how she or he looks?

The exotic vet we have here, has never seen one :( ;( couldn't tell me anything. I hope I'm not hurting her or him.
My son calls it little-bit when he visits. But it is massively strong, trys to almost herd me if I am in the way; moved my rocking chair across the floor.
No.
It actually looks well cared for in general

LittleBit

Louisville
Owe my goodness I'd feel weird taking money for it. But I understand it's just to remove people that may hurt it. I'll ask my husband what he thinks.

I will make sure to ask and see pictures or skype video conference to see buyers face and housing for it etc.... I don't want it to be hurt. I love animals.. I just don't know anything about them.

I'm deathly afraid I'd hurt it out of stupidity.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Owe my goodness I'd feel weird taking money for it. But I understand it's just to remove people that may hurt it. I'll ask my husband what he thinks.

I will make sure to ask and see pictures or skype video conference to see buyers face and housing for it etc.... I don't want it to be hurt. I love animals.. I just don't know anything about them.

One thought, if you feel bad taking money for it, donate the money to a turtle or tortoise non profit. That way it eliminates people trying to flip the free tortoise, you don't feel bad about taking money, and some funds go toward helping turtles and torts [emoji846]

Good luck! She's beautiful

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

While you're here, read up on some Sulcata care threads.

LittleBit

Louisville
One thought, if you feel bad taking money for it, donate the money to a turtle or tortoise non profit. That way it eliminates people trying to flip the free tortoise, you don't feel bad about taking money, and some funds go toward helping turtles and torts [emoji846]

Good luck! She's beautiful

Great idea! Thank you, Do you know if it's a she?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Right, yes I need to do that. Is all that true information? Thank you kindly
The care sheets pinned on TFO are written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and sadly from some breeders and vets too. You can trust in them. The TFO sheets for sulcatss are written by @Tom :)

LittleBit

Louisville
The care sheets pinned on TFO are written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and sadly from some breeders and vets too. You can trust in them. The TFO sheets for sulcatss are written by @Tom :)

Awesome that will help me a lot. I will find a way to print them. Once I find them on here. Thank you so much.

Thanksgiving dinner, do they like special things? I'd hate to have it go without a holiday meal.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Awesome that will help me a lot. I will find a way to print them. Once I find them on here. Thank you so much.

Thanksgiving dinner, do they like special things? I'd hate to have it go without a holiday meal.
They like what they normally have. Maybe a flower as a treat :)

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Great idea! Thank you, Do you know if it's a she?

I'm not absolutely positive, but in my experience the size of the gulars and the lack of concavity of the plastron make me think it's a female. My male sulcata is smaller but has much more pronounced gulars, and a obviously concave plastron already.

I'm sure some of our other sulcata keepers can confirm you have a female. :) How long has she been staying with you?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

• From what I can see, your tort’s beak and claws/nails look fine. It would be good to get a large cuttlebone ( the kind that are provided to birds ) and have that in where you keep your tort, or where you feed him. They will nibble and or eat the cuttle bone and help keep the beak in shape.

LittleBit

Louisville
I'm not absolutely positive, but in my experience the size of the gulars and the lack of concavity of the plastron make me think it's a female. My male sulcata is smaller but has much more pronounced gulars, and a obviously concave plastron already.

I'm sure some of our other sulcata keepers can confirm you have a female. :) How long has she been staying with you?

That'd be cute if it was a girl! Must post in a place here and host a contest. haha. The torts been with me for approx. alittle over 6 months. Thank you so much for telling me. Is there more percise pictures I would need to take?

LittleBit

Louisville
  • From what I can see, your tort’s beak and claws/nails look fine. It would be good to get a large cuttlebone ( the kind that are provided to birds ) and have that in where you keep your tort, or where you feed him. They will nibble and or eat the cuttle bone and help keep the beak in shape.

Okay I will go out and get some tomorrow. Can I ask what happens if she bites it in chunks, will she choke on it? Newbie here, sorry