tazpjm

Location (City and/or State)
Qatar
Hello, My 3 year old tortoise isn’t moving the right back leg. I checked it today and it looks fine to me but she still isn’t moving it. Her leg was fine yesterday so i don't know what happened. She isn’t dragging it per se but there is very little movement. I am very worried, and I wanted to check on here for answers before I take her to the vet. If you have any ideas as to what is happening to her, Please let me know! Thank you!

CA67D3F9-67EB-46C6-8D30-BEE21FA4B1DB.jpeg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Could you post a video showing her walking so we can see how its not moving?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also we need a pic of the enclosure and give us the whole run down of her care.
Temps all over
Temps basking
Temp night
Humidity
Diet
Substrate
Size of enclosure
How often you soak
Everything we are asking for will help us help you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, My 3 year old tortoise isn’t moving the right back leg. I checked it today and it looks fine to me but she still isn’t moving it. Her leg was fine yesterday so i don't know what happened. She isn’t dragging it per se but there is very little movement. I am very worried, and I wanted to check on here for answers before I take her to the vet. If you have any ideas as to what is happening to her, Please let me know! Thank you!

View attachment 351052
Most likely causes would be:
1. Insect bite or sting. Is this tortoise outside?
2. Injury. Is this tortoise loose on the floor?
3. Constipation or impaction. What do you feed the tortoise? How large is the enclosure? What substrate? How often do you soak the tortoise?
4. Bladder stones.

An x-ray can help to confirm or deny some of these.

tazpjm

Qatar
Most likely causes would be:
1. Insect bite or sting. Is this tortoise outside?
2. Injury. Is this tortoise loose on the floor?
3. Constipation or impaction. What do you feed the tortoise? How large is the enclosure? What substrate? How often do you soak the tortoise?
4. Bladder stones.

An x-ray can help to confirm or deny some of these.
Hello, thank you for answering!

1. No, she stays inside
2. Yes, she walks around my room
3. I mostly feed her lettuce. She does not have an enclosure, unfortunately. I soak her every 2-3 days.

tazpjm

Qatar
Also we need a pic of the enclosure and give us the whole run down of her care.
Temps all over
Temps basking
Temp night
Humidity
Diet
Substrate
Size of enclosure
How often you soak
Everything we are asking for will help us help you.
Hello, thank you for replying!

Unfortunately, she does not have an enclosure. She walks on the floor or on my bed. I feed her lettuce and sometimes fruits. I bather her every 2-3 days. The temperature typically varies from 58°F to 106°F, and the average percentage of humidity is: 59%. She doesn't have an enclosure but where I live is pretty hot and humid.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, thank you for answering!

1. No, she stays inside
2. Yes, she walks around my room
3. I mostly feed her lettuce. She does not have an enclosure, unfortunately. I soak her every 2-3 days.
Here is the correct care info for your species. She needs to be in an enclosure, safe from the hazards of roaming loose on the floor, fed the correct foods, and kept at the right temperatures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Follow Tom's caresheet he linked for you and make big changes ASAP!
You are doing a lot of the wrong stuff. Diet is really bad. Stop the fruit and must feed way more thdn just lettuce. Must have it's own enclosure and you need to know the exact temps. Proper substrate for walking and building muscle tone so it can walk properly.

tazpjm

Qatar
Follow Tom's caresheet he linked for you and make big changes ASAP!
You are doing a lot of the wrong stuff. Diet is really bad. Stop the fruit and must feed way more thdn just lettuce. Must have it's own enclosure and you need to know the exact temps. Proper substrate for walking and building muscle tone so it can walk properly.
I will! Thank you :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If all the tortoise is fed is lettuce then it's probably suffering from metabolic bone disease, or lack of calcium. Lettuce isn't nearly nutrient rich enough to maintain a good quality of life for a tortoise.

tazpjm

Qatar
If all the tortoise is fed is lettuce then it's probably suffering from metabolic bone disease, or lack of calcium. Lettuce isn't nearly nutrient rich enough to maintain a good quality of life for a tortoise.
Ohh, that makes sense. Thank you!