Opo 2.0

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Just a couple of years ago did you ever thing that the tortoise you could hold in one hand, would get so big so fast. I'm amazed how quickly they grow. Good Job!!
No doubt, I look at the pic of the first day we bought Opo. He was so small in my hand. At 2 years old he weighed a little over 9 pounds. At 3 Opo is a little over 30lbs. 20lbs in one year is amazing to me.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well we had a scare today. Opo was in the shade by the cactus plants for a good hr. Rose and I were finishing up the pavers for the base of Opo's new night box. All of a sudden Opo is running across the lawn and went right to his night box. He started digging in the back corner frantically. We pulled him out and gave him a good look for fire ants. Couldn't find any so we put him in his pool. He wanted nothing to do with it. I tried keeping him in there and spraying with the hose. We examined him again closely to find nothing. Set him down and he ran across the yard into his night box and scratching in the corner. Finally settled down and I watched him for awhile. Checked him to make sure he was still moving. Been a few hrs now and he still inside the box.
I figure he got stung by something or maybe he saw a ghost. ?
20200718_140331.jpg

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Well we had a scare today. Opo was in the shade by the cactus plants for a good hr. Rose and I were finishing up the pavers for the base of Opo's new night box. All of a sudden Opo is running across the lawn and went right to his night box. He started digging in the back corner frantically. We pulled him out and gave him a good look for fire ants. Couldn't find any so we put him in his pool. He wanted nothing to do with it. I tried keeping him in there and spraying with the hose. We examined him again closely to find nothing. Set him down and he ran across the yard into his night box and scratching in the corner. Finally settled down and I watched him for awhile. Checked him to make sure he was still moving. Been a few hrs now and he still inside the box.
I figure he got stung by something or maybe he saw a ghost. ?
View attachment 300359
Hope everything is OK.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
What can spook a 30 pound sulcata? I'm guessing you could rule out something bigger than Opo, or you probably would have seen it.

Are sulcatas prone to being afraid of snakes? I doubt something like a small, docile corn snake would freak him out, but something with more attitude... like a rattlesnake?

After all, we are in Florida.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well this morning he was awake. I kept checking him last night. Looking for any kind of movement without waking him up.
Opo finally came out of his box after looking at his food for awhile. He ate walked to the open screen door. Sat there for a couple of minutes and turned around and went back to his box. Finally came out and went to one of his cool hides.
I looked the best I could for any bites or swelling. Later today I will put him in his pool and give him a good look over.
Maybe some scout fire ants got him.
There are no fire ant hills in that area.
The only snake I have seen here is a black snake and they are not aggressive
@Pastel Tortie I will check his tongue when I feed him some cactus.