Lady Ashthorn

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hello!

Ez and I made it a week!
I know this is incredibly early, seeing as how it's still winter up here in Canada, but I'm wondering if the plants which grow naturally in my yard are safe for a redfoot tortoise. The one I have been having trouble getting any information on is called "heal all" or "Prunella vulgaris." I will post a picture here. It grows on the waterfront side of my yard and looks like this; HealAll01.jpg
When the lawn starts growing in I'll post a pic of the other unknown plant which has a sharp smell.
Thank you so much to everyone for their help and kindness!

Lady Ashthorn

Ontario
Hello!

Ez and I made it a week!
I know this is incredibly early, seeing as how it's still winter up here in Canada, but I'm wondering if the plants which grow naturally in my yard are safe for a redfoot tortoise. The one I have been having trouble getting any information on is called "heal all" or "Prunella vulgaris." I will post a picture here. It grows on the waterfront side of my yard and looks like this; View attachment 320047
When the lawn starts growing in I'll post a pic of the other unknown plant which has a sharp smell.
Thank you so much to everyone for their help and kindness!
Just found the other one! It's ground ivy. Is it safe?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

It is a plant in the family Lamiaceae, which includes a bunch of herbs—sage, mint, oregano, thyme, lavender and more. Herbs aren’t bad for a tortoise but the strong smell and taste means they won’t typically eat them.

Deadnettles are in this family too, and that is one of the better known and safe foods.

If your tortoise will eat it, it’s fine.

As a note, if you search the Tortoise Table using the Latin family name you may have luck. This plant has a bunch of different names, some of which won’t be listed. But if you type in Prunella, voila: