Pretend Chat 2.14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I got my babies all moved outside yesterday. I had a hard time finding a good spot where there was dappled sun/lots of shade and ended up placing them under a tree by my front door. I worried about them all night - kept waking up and thinking about some night time critter tipping their habitats over. So this a.m. I moved them to where I thought it would be more secure. The sun hits only about 2" on the outer edge of the enclosures and it's shady all day. Probably hotter than it would have been under the tree, but oh well.

baby habitats a.jpg baby habitats b.jpg baby habitats c.jpg baby habitats d.jpg

I feed all the babies the same diet, but occasionally add fruit and bugs for the YF, Manouria and box turtles. Today's menu was only the chopped greens, and notice in the second picture a hatchling box turtle eating the greens. In the third picture you can see bites out of the cordatum from the baby desert tortoises. I've had many, many hatchling box turtles and could only ever get them to eat live food. Once I started keeping them in with the YF and Manouria babies, they eat the greens and veggies like crazy. Eating by example. And they're growing pretty smooth and not distorted like so many captive raised babies do.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
It's a weird feeling leaving them out all night at first. Just like locking them in a heated shed.

I just cleared my old raised garden
and moved my baby DT out of his kiddie pool today. I caught him trying to escape.
I think our babies are about a month apart.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468115793.595337.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468115854.065746.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
A dog, cat, whatever while great, still can not fill the place of a human. Kinda like an apple and an orange are both fruits, yet not the same.
I'm horrible, I favor animals because they don't talk back and usually love you unconditionally. But I'm young and have a lot to experience.
Funny that the day I say things like this I end up starting to talk to someone.
Apples and oranges certainly are different, one makes me quick sick and one doesn't haha so good analogy.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I'm horrible, I favor animals because they don't talk back and usually love you unconditionally. But I'm young and have a lot to experience.
Funny that the day I say things like this I end up starting to talk to someone.
Apples and oranges certainly are different, one makes me quick sick and one doesn't haha so good analogy.

You know I keep trying to teach my dogs to scratch my back and give me a backrub, they don't seem to get the hang of it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
M-m-m m-m-m! Dudley is up in arms!

I normally put the sulcata rescues in the back yard. The back yard shares a fence with Dudley's yard, however, even though the wind comes from that direction, it doesn't seem to effect Dudley having them back there. Right now there's a young male in the back yard. Given up because he's getting to big for them to handle. He's maybe 30 or 40lbs.

So yesterday I was brought a 'found' sulcata. This one is about 20lbs, and I thought, also male. So this one had to go into a smaller pen on the other side of Dudley's yard.

Dudley is so upset. He's marching back and forth in front of that quarantine pen and trying to climb the fence. Back and forth, back and forth...and not just walking, but MARCHING!!

Dudley's up in arms a.jpg Dudley's up in arms b.jpg

Here's the 'found' sulcata:

Dudley's up in arms c.jpg Dudley's up in arms d.jpg

He has extra dorsal scutes, and his anal scutes point straight back, however, he has a fairly large tail and gular. I was pretty sure he's male. I've got to hurry up and place the backyard rescue so the 'found' tortoise can be moved. Poor Dudley. So upset!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

I normally put the sulcata rescues in the back yard. The back yard shares a fence with Dudley's yard, however, even though the wind comes from that direction, it doesn't seem to effect Dudley having them back there. Right now there's a young male in the back yard. Given up because he's getting to big for them to handle. He's maybe 30 or 40lbs.

So yesterday I was brought a 'found' sulcata. This one is about 20lbs, and I thought, also male. So this one had to go into a smaller pen on the other side of Dudley's yard.

Dudley is so upset. He's marching back and forth in front of that quarantine pen and trying to climb the fence. Back and forth, back and forth...and not just walking, but MARCHING!!

View attachment 179904 View attachment 179905

View attachment 179906 View attachment 179907

He has extra dorsal scutes, and his anal scutes point straight back, however, he has a fairly large tail and gular. I was pretty sure he's male. I've got to hurry up and place the backyard rescue so the 'found' tortoise can be moved. Poor Dudley. So upset!

He's mine. I lost him.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I want you to know Yvonne, I came all the way up to the top of the hill, just so I could see these pictures.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I want you to know Yvonne, I came all the way up to the top of the hill, just so I could see these pictures.

Lol and then the cemetery, in order to recatch the signal and send the above post.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

View attachment 179904 View attachment 179905

View attachment 179906 View attachment 179907

Poor Dudley! Has he calmed down?