Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Happy week-end everyone!

I'm really psyching myself up to clean house today. It really (REALLY!!!) needs it. We're supposed to get rain on and off all this coming week. So if I can't make myself clean today, tomorrow's another day!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Happy week-end everyone!

I'm really psyching myself up to clean house today. It really (REALLY!!!) needs it. We're supposed to get rain on and off all this coming week. So if I can't make myself clean today, tomorrow's another day!

I use to hate cleaning, but it may sound crazy, since I moved off on my own years ago I kinda enjoy putting on some music and cleaning up the place (also I only have to meet one person's expectations lol).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There were two ballot propositions in California regarding grocery bags. One was outlawing plastic bags, the other was using the funds for selling bags for conservation. That is why they are charging you for paper bags. I'm lucky I'm a packrat and have hoarded plastic bags all these years! I just put a pile of them in the car, but I can never remember to take them into the store with me. As far as I know, you can still buy trash bags and they still provide the produce bags at the store. I wonder what they would do if you took a bunch of those up to the cash register and started bagging your groceries in them, lol!

About a year ago, they put the plastic bag ban into effect for awhile in LA. We bought a bunch of stuff and then were told we would have to pay for the bags. I can't bring myself to pay for a bag on principle so we awkwardly carried the stuff outside in our hands. Just outside the door was a pile of boxes the store was throwing away. We put our stuff in the boxes and took it home.

I went to the store yesterday and forgot my bags - AGAIN! I have several canvas bags that I bought last year, but I just can't remember them. So last week, before my shopping day, I placed them UNDER my purse so I'd remember them. But when it came time to go, I grabbed my purse and didn't even see the bags. So, once again, I had to pay for bags to get my groceries out of the store. So now look where my canvas bags are:

bags.jpg

Of course, you know, if I need my purse between now and next Friday (when I go grocery shopping again), the bags will get moved and I'll forget them once again.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I went to the store yesterday and forgot my bags - AGAIN! I have several canvas bags that I bought last year, but I just can't remember them. So last week, before my shopping day, I placed them UNDER my purse so I'd remember them. But when it came time to go, I grabbed my purse and didn't even see the bags. So, once again, I had to pay for bags to get my groceries out of the store. So now look where my canvas bags are:

View attachment 194326

Of course, you know, if I need my purse between now and next Friday (when I go grocery shopping again), the bags will get moved and I'll forget them once again.

Just keep them in your truck.
My friend forgot hers so after she bought the plastic bags she went back and demanded a refund as she showed them her receipt. One manager later she got her $1 back:)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va

View attachment 194326

We don't have to supply our own bags. the grocery stores we use have paper and plastic for free. There was places around here that thought about doing what your area is doing and the best argument against it, was how unhealthy it may become using the same bags over and over to carry food in. We have a couple insulated cold or hot bags that we keep in the car, if not put back in the car we would forget them.

M

Maggie Cummings

There were two ballot propositions in California regarding grocery bags. One was outlawing plastic bags, the other was using the funds for selling bags for conservation. That is why they are charging you for paper bags. I'm lucky I'm a packrat and have hoarded plastic bags all these years! I just put a pile of them in the car, but I can never remember to take them into the store with me. As far as I know, you can still buy trash bags and they still provide the produce bags at the store. I wonder what they would do if you took a bunch of those up to the cash register and started bagging your groceries in them, lol!

About a year ago, they put the plastic bag ban into effect for awhile in LA. We bought a bunch of stuff and then were told we would have to pay for the bags. I can't bring myself to pay for a bag on principle so we awkwardly carried the stuff outside in our hands. Just outside the door was a pile of boxes the store was throwing away. We put our stuff in the boxes and took it home.

That has been the law in Oregon for heck, I can't remember, 5 or 7 years (LOL), so I have about 8, pretty, reusable grocery bags, it takes about 6 months to remember to bring them in to the store. I have a big clear heavy plastic one that has NASCAR on it. That's the one I use the most. Obviously...
And my friend Stephanie, was traveling in England and saw this purse sized bag thing that read "Margaret" on it, so I always have it in my purse rolled up small in it's case, but when need it unrolls pretty big. Nice thing to have. I go in to the produce section get one bunch of kale or something and take a bunch of their plastic bags (WT*)(?) and that's what I use for the litter boxes. Kind of a double standard going on there. Maggie's tale of her plastic bag saga. I'm actually surprised that I 'mostly' remember my bag, but I'll always go back to the car and get it, like a good Oregonian :)

M

Maggie Cummings

View attachment 194326

I keep about 10 in the back of my Camaro. Just get into the habit of putting the damn things back in your truck. And buy the $1.50 ones from your store and collect enough bags so if you forget to put the ones back in your truck from your last trip, you still have a buncha bags in your truck. You'll get used to it...

M

Maggie Cummings

Maggie, did you make it safely?

Thank you so much for being concerned about me. I'm good at ice and snow driving. (and I like it) I put 3 80 pound bags of cement inside the car over my rear tires, gives me traction and away I go.
However, I believe you are talking about my trip to Fresno. I will be taking the train round trip and I'm not leaving until the 23rd. I used to make the trip in 10 hours by IROC-et. The train is taking 22 hours. But I won't mind, what with WiFi and recliner seats....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We don't have to supply our own bags. the grocery stores we use have paper and plastic for free. There was places around here that thought about doing what your area is doing and the best argument against it, was how unhealthy it may become using the same bags over and over to carry food in. We have a couple insulated cold or hot bags that we keep in the car, if not put back in the car we would forget them.

I never thought about the sanitation issue. Walmart grocery store and Smart and Final still provide plastic for 10 cents each. It's a heavier, reusable plastic. This is what the Walmart Grocery Store's bags say on them:

plastic bags.jpg

But really. . . how many of us are going to wash out a plastic bag and hang it upside down to dry?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I agree with the above posters, as soon as the groceries are unpacked the bags go back into the truck. Problem solved.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I never thought about the sanitation issue. Walmart grocery store and Smart and Final still provide plastic for 10 cents each. It's a heavier, reusable plastic. This is what the Walmart Grocery Store's bags say on them:

View attachment 194339

But really. . . how many of us are going to wash out a plastic bag and hang it upside down to dry?
I wash zip lock bags sometimes. They don't dry well.
You should probably designate some bags for dry items like cereal boxes and paper towels, and others for wet items that can make a mess.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was running my duster over the little cubby holes in my desk and this was brought out and dropped on the surface:

chip a.jpg chip b.jpg

It's about an inch long. I know it probably has something to do with the computer, but I don't see where there's a portal to shove it into.

Anyone know what it is?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That thought just popped into my mind a minute ago. Seems to me I remember getting a bigger memory card because I could only take a very few pictures. I'll bet you're right. Dang it's hell to get old and not be able to remember anything. I'm going to tape a little label on it so this doesn't happen again.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I was running my duster over the little cubby holes in my desk and this was brought out and dropped on the surface:

View attachment 194359 View attachment 194360

It's about an inch long. I know it probably has something to do with the computer, but I don't see where there's a portal to shove it into.

Anyone know what it is?
It's an SD card. You use them
In things like digital cameras.

You need a special slot in your computer/laptop to download the photos or you can buy an SD card reader that you plug into a USB port.

It only holds 256 megabytes. Not very much by modern standards

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks, Linda. I've put a label on it so next time I 'find' it I'll know what it is. Either that, or I should probably toss it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So a couple years ago I bought this rug

fireplace rug.jpg

because when I add wood to the stove I inevitably stir out a klinker or two onto the floor, and it's always a rush to hurry and get them picked up before they burn the carpet. Today when I was vacuuming I found this:

fireplace rug b.jpg

I guess it's a good thing my carpet melts instead of bursting into flame, huh? Lot of good that rug did me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably dustbin material ... or is that trash can?

I cut my mystery teeth on Agatha Christie (I have all of her over 80 books), so Dustbin is just fine, far as I'm concerned. But around here that would be garbage.