Pretend Chat 2.14

M

Maggie Cummings

Well group guess what I did today........

DSCN3347.JPG

Santa doesn't know how to hold a tortoise

DSCN3346.JPG
I wonder if my parents ever took me to sit on Santa's lap. I sure don't remember if they did, and I've never seen a picture.......Maybe that's why I have to take my animals every year. It makes for a much better picture if the tort is big like Bob was tho. I didn't have as much fun this time, as last week end, too many dogs and not enuf kids. It's the kids that like tortoises. And that comes from a grumpy old lady who does not like children. BUT....
just as I was about to leave this maybe 6-7 yr old, hard to tell, came over to me, and as she asked if she could touch him I was struck by her beauty; blonde with green eyes, just a beautiful face, then when she talked I realized she has Downs. But she had a knowledge of tortoises, she asked what species he was I said he was a gopher tortoise, so she says, "then he's an American from mostly the SouthWest." I ended up talking to her for about 15 minutes. God may have given her Downs, but he also gave her an amazing brain. I see a great future for her. It's funny, the older and more ill tempered I get, the more I like kids instead of disliking them so much. I've never liked people. Kids aren't people just yet. Not tainted or evil yet.

M

Maggie Cummings

I wash zip lock bags sometimes. They don't dry well.
You should probably designate some bags for dry items like cereal boxes and paper towels, and others for wet items that can make a mess.

But they do dry well ...you just have to stick them upside down over a broom stick or the vacuum cleaner handle, I do it all the time. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
@Yvonne G - That card is almost vintage, haha. It would hold 6 images from my camera. I see why you upgraded!

Yes, after they told me it was probably a memory card for my camera I remembered I took my camera with me last year up to visit my sister, and I was only able to take a very few pictures before it was full. Steven (bouaboua) who was there too, gave me another card with a bigger amount of memory. So that's the old one from my camera. I have now tossed it in the 'dustbin'!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I got the living room and my office all dusted and vacuumed. Not the best job, but it's at least done. I wish I could afford to have someone come in and do it for me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well group guess what I did today........

View attachment 194365

Santa doesn't know how to hold a tortoise

View attachment 194366
I wonder if my parents ever took me to sit on Santa's lap. I sure don't remember if they did, and I've never seen a picture.......Maybe that's why I have to take my animals every year. It makes for a much better picture if the tort is big like Bob was tho. I didn't have as much fun this time, as last week end, too many dogs and not enuf kids. It's the kids that like tortoises. And that comes from a grumpy old lady who does not like children. BUT....
just as I was about to leave this maybe 6-7 yr old, hard to tell, came over to me, and as she asked if she could touch him I was struck by her beauty; blonde with green eyes, just a beautiful face, then when she talked I realized she has Downs. But she had a knowledge of tortoises, she asked what species he was I said he was a gopher tortoise, so she says, "then he's an American from mostly the SouthWest." I ended up talking to her for about 15 minutes. God may have given her Downs, but he also gave her an amazing brain. I see a great future for her. It's funny, the older and more ill tempered I get, the more I like kids instead of disliking them so much. I've never liked people. Kids aren't people just yet. Not tainted or evil yet.

I'm not so sure that was a popular thing to do with kids back when we were youngsters. There were no malls then, and we hardly ever went with our parents to the big department stores.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I'm not so sure that was a popular thing to do with kids back when we were youngsters. There were no malls then, and we hardly ever went with our parents to the big department stores.
I remember a photo of me with Santa when I was about 3 in the 50s. My husband grew up in the late 40s and early 50s and he remembers visiting Santa. He said his mom used to drive him around town until they found a Santa he approved of. Some of them didn't look like the real one. His mom said those were helpers. Back then, stores did it for free; you didn't even have to pay for the photo. Even when my kids were little, it was free some places.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't remember going any place with our parents except the junk yard with Dad. They weren't our friends they were parents who left us to grow up on our own I believe. Except when your mother used to hit me and Roger with a crutch.....ouch!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I don't remember going any place with our parents except the junk yard with Dad. They weren't our friends they were parents who left us to grow up on our own I believe. Except when your mother used to hit me and Roger with a crutch.....ouch!
That's so sad.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree with the above posters, as soon as the groceries are unpacked the bags go back into the truck. Problem solved.

and that would be where they would stay. Plus I never unpack all my groceries.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Thank you so much for being concerned about me. I'm good at ice and snow driving. (and I like it) I put 3 80 pound bags of cement inside the car over my rear tires, gives me traction and away I go.
However, I believe you are talking about my trip to Fresno. I will be taking the train round trip and I'm not leaving until the 23rd. I used to make the trip in 10 hours by IROC-et. The train is taking 22 hours. But I won't mind, what with WiFi and recliner seats....

Nope, did not mean the train trip. I dislike driving in snow or on ice. With Jeff in the semi, I would go back and hide in the bed, fully clothed in case of accident .

M

Maggie Cummings

Nope, did not mean the train trip. I dislike driving in snow or on ice. With Jeff in the semi, I would go back and hide in the bed, fully clothed in case of accident .

Then I bet you're very glad you didn't go to Michigan with him, and sorry he had to go. At least I think that's where you said he was going, and the weather was awful. I hope Jeff missed all those big pile ups. He needs to run the 10 in the winter......

M

Maggie Cummings

That's so sad.

Nah....I had a good middle class Catholic up bringing and for some reason went bad at 12 yrs. My sister had a completely different experience.
In our childhood generations, parents were not your friend. It was their job to make you a good person. My father restored and showed classic cars, but I can not ever remembering him dropping me off at the movies or check this out; I grew up in San Francisco and was in speed club at the roller rink. I was 8 when I started I think, and I took 2 buses across the city alone to go skating and came home at 11 or midnight alone on the buses across San Francisco. Sure couldn't do that to a kid today. Not only would the 'parents' not allow it but today's kids wouldn't know how to do it, they don't know how to be independant or self reliant. We were told to go outside and play until we heard her holler for dinner, or until it was dark. We had to figure out how to entertain ourselves. We certainly didn't have the electronics then, that are making isolationists and idiots out of most kids. OK, off my soap box and out of the chat, ya'll can carry on, I'm gone.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Then I bet you're very glad you didn't go to Michigan with him, and sorry he had to go. At least I think that's where you said he was going, and the weather was awful. I hope Jeff missed all those big pile ups. He needs to run the 10 in the winter......

He is playing in wind and snow in WY