Pretend Chat 2.14

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Tomorrow my daughter is having a "Gender reveal" party. Never had heard of such a thing.
Exciting... but whatever happened to the surprise on the day? Am I old-fashioned?

I had no idea before my daughter was born.

Pregnancy with my son was totally different and I did wonder. However I only found out by accident. He was so enormous that I had to have a very late scan and the ultrasound when started clearly showed a boy (or a girl with serious problems ;) ) So we found out 10 days before they induced him because they didn't want him to be any bigger than the 9lb 14oz that turned up!

It's all the rage now, lol

So is "pushing presents"
To be fair neither of these have caught on in the UK yet thank goodness. Although I daresay they will eventually

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I too, prefer waiting til it appears to know, but most folks do want to know ahead of time. Not so many gender neutral items for sale either. I was lucky, I knew in my mind the sex of all four of my brats right from the start.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Also thanks guys, papers are signed, but it is bittersweet. Having it be public record opens me up to further harassment from my stalker so we are trying again tomorrow to get a fancy piece of paper that says "leave me alone!" - wish me luck.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497042233.564138.jpg

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's all the rage now, lol

So is "pushing presents"

It's more just an excuse to get together with friends and family, plus no showing favoritism in telling one person over another.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
It's more just an excuse to get together with friends and family, plus no showing favoritism in telling one person over another.
My buddies just had a gender reveal party. They both play on a coed softball team so her sister ordered a softball with called powder in it. The wife pitched the ball and the hubby hit it...... out came a cloud of pink powder.

In this case neither parent knew the sex until the reveal. The ultrasound results were sealed up and given to the sister a week prior to the party.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My buddies just had a gender reveal party. They both play on a coed softball team so her sister ordered a softball with called powder in it. The wife pitched the ball and the hubby hit it...... out came a cloud of pink powder.

In this case neither parent knew the sex until the reveal. The ultrasound results were sealed up and given to the sister a week prior to the party.

How neat. Neither of them know what it says on the slip in the sealed envelope. They learn with all of us.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My house is pretty well insulated. Once it warms up in here (in summer), it stays warm for quite a while. So this a.m. I get up and it's comfortable in here, but I notice the sun isn't shining. It's overcast and out the window it looks a bit breezy.

When the timer turned on the light for my little YF that lives in the house, the light burned out, so I had to go outside and into the back house to get a new bulb. Br-r-r-r-r-r!!!!! It's mighty cold out there! When I came back inside I asked my friend Google what the weather was here and he told me it's 54F degrees, for cripes sake!!!

So here I am in my shorts and T-shirt, dreading going outside to do my chores. Guess I'll have to break out a sweatshirt and some long pants.

My son-in-law's mom had a series of strokes a couple weeks ago. She's only three or four years younger than me. Sort of scary. She's not doing very well. Has been in hospital this whole time. Can't swallow, talk or control her movements.

Yesterday when I came home from errands, as I walked out to close the gate I noticed SO was up against the fence, face first. All I could see was his back. So I peeked over to see what had him so interested in being that close to the fence, and he was inspecting a big female RES. The Aldabran yard is next door to the pond, and, in my laziness last week, I put a big female RES in my pond instead of trying to place her with someone else. When I picked her up to save her from SO, she feels VERY heavy. Too bad I didn't weigh her. I'll bet she has eggs. Anyway - there was a little chunk taken out of the edge of her shell that was a bit bloody. I put her back over to the pond area and took a good look at the fence. I wish I could figure out how they get out of there. I have a horizontal board across the top of all the fences, and the fence is solid. There are no holes under it. It's a puzzler.

@MPRC - I was meaning to ask about all the little snakes. Was this at your new house?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
@Yvonne G - Yeah, there are TONS of them ranging from about 6in and thin like a night crawler to about 2ft long and FAST. We usually try to move them from places where the weed whacker is going to get them so the area around our pond is probably like a snake commune now.

M

Maggie Cummings

So we found out 10 days before they induced him because they didn't want him to be any bigger than the 9lb 14oz that turned up!

My third child was 14 lbs and 15 ounces. No drugs involved, and it hurt!!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So we found out 10 days before they induced him because they didn't want him to be any bigger than the 9lb 14oz that turned up!

My third child was 14 lbs and 15 ounces. No drugs involved, and it hurt!!!!!

My son's step daughter, Victoria, is due to birth twins in August. Her doctor told her after some sort of ultrasound that it looks like they each weigh about ten pounds. Can you imagine carrying that around?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
My son's step daughter, Victoria, is due to birth twins in August. Her doctor told her after some sort of ultrasound that it looks like they each weigh about ten pounds. Can you imagine carrying that around?
No, I can't. Ow.