Pretend Chat 2.14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Last evening, as I was going around to make sure all was well with the tortoises, I happened to glance up to the top of my neighbor's eucalyptus trees. There were 10 or 15 buzzards (???) in the top of the tree. The first two pictures you can barely see a black smudge through the leaves, but the last picture shows them pretty good. When one flew away, it had brown stripes under the wings and a bright red head, so even though it looks like crows in the picture, they weren't crows.

buzzards a.jpg buzzards b.jpg buzzards c.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Today I'm supposed to be getting a female sulcata. What's with these people all of a sudden? This has been such an active two weeks for the rescue. Luckily I have space for her (questionable as females are pretty few and far between). I hope I'm able to place her soon. I don't want to have to keep her warm over the winter. I'll post pictures when the tortoise gets here.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Having a brief break from the rain. I enjoy the spring rains, but not the constant fall ones.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well the inside of the garage is dry dispite all the rain. Lol The garage has become Jeff's baby. Each time he is home, it is his first priority. Years ago, I had asked him why we couldn't save the still some what good half of the garage. About two years later, he decided he could. Lol So both sides who cleaned out of about 27 years of trash build up. Including the last time he was home, they removed an old coffin freezer which actually had water within the panel, so it was heavy. This time he got the tarp on the roof and a few support roof braces replaced. I figure at this rate in two years, it might be done. Then maybe we can start on my projects.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Today I'm supposed to be getting a female sulcata. What's with these people all of a sudden? This has been such an active two weeks for the rescue. Luckily I have space for her (questionable as females are pretty few and far between). I hope I'm able to place her soon. I don't want to have to keep her warm over the winter. I'll post pictures when the tortoise gets here.
If it's 100%female you can ship her to me I'll pay for it . But if not don't need another male .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well the inside of the garage is dry dispite all the rain. Lol The garage has become Jeff's baby. Each time he is home, it is his first priority. Years ago, I had asked him why we couldn't save the still some what good half of the garage. About two years later, he decided he could. Lol So both sides who cleaned out of about 27 years of trash build up. Including the last time he was home, they removed an old coffin freezer which actually had water within the panel, so it was heavy. This time he got the tarp on the roof and a few support roof braces replaced. I figure at this rate in two years, it might be done. Then maybe we can start on my projects.

Put the old freezer out in the sulcata yard and cut a door out of one end at ground level. There was a turtle man in Chowchilla who used chest-type freezers as tortoise houses. Worked great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I started up my pasture-walking a couple nights ago. Was able to plow though 6 laps that night, then 8 laps last night. While I was going around and around, I noticed one of my female leopards digging a nest in the corner of her pasture. This a.m. I dug up 16 more leopard eggs. I thought my factories were finished producing for the year. Guess I was wrong. Hopefully I can make it up to my normal 10 laps tonight (10 laps = a mile). The weather is just right for walking.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I was out feeding and figured that the Texans have settled in for the winter. The food I gave them yesterday was still on their plate. Then I fed the CDTs, which emptied the container of feed. So I was stepping back over the CDT/Texas fence, then over the Texas/Sulcata fence and lo and behold, I saw this poor, upside down, half frozen CDT nestled in amongst the roots of a dead tree.

View attachment 219631

You can see how small he is compared to those that are a month old. He's alive and his eyes are bright and alert. Other than being very cold, he looks fine. No injuries. His yolk scar is dry and almost gone.

I tried to see if there were anymore around the yards, but never found another one. Couldn't find the empty nest either. I'll go back and look again once it warms up more. I guess a bird must have seen him and dropped him on the root trying to break him open. I have a feral cat that has adopted Dudley's yard as his territory, so the bird probably wasn't able to go down and reclaim his prize.

Now, THAT is something I never will find in my yard! Good thing I look good in green, huh? How is he doing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Now, THAT is something I never will find in my yard! Good thing I look good in green, huh? How is he doing?

He perked right up once I set him in a container of warmish water. He even ate a bit later in the day.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Having a brief break from the rain. I enjoy the spring rains, but not the constant fall ones.
We could use some rain. None for about 4 weeks and none forecast for at least the next week. Bike Fest starts tomorrow here at the Beach and the last 3 years it's rained, so I guess it's good for that.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've found a new food goal: Pumpecapple Piecake.

"one layer of a pumpkin pie baked into a spice cake, topped by a layer of a pecan pie baked inside of a chocolate cake topped by a layer of an apple pie baked inside of our traditional spiced cake."

https://blog.3brothersbakery.com/?s=pumpecapple

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've found a new food goal: Pumpecapple Piecake.

"one layer of a pumpkin pie baked into a spice cake, topped by a layer of a pecan pie baked inside of a chocolate cake topped by a layer of an apple pie baked inside of our traditional spiced cake."

https://blog.3brothersbakery.com/?s=pumpecapple
It gives me a stomach just reading about it. TOO RICH!!!