Pretend chat 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Hi all, wow I had an amazing day! It was in the low 40's today but we still played outside most of the day and it is going to be 70 on Tuesday!! That does not even sound real to me!!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Speaking of ticks, I pulled this sucker out of Lily's head on Easter, I used a tick key and it worked so well! The entire thing came out and was crawling around. Brace yourself this is a nasty pic. I sent it off to get it tested for lyme and other tick Bourne illnesses
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365299047.201946.jpg
We hate ticks so much here because of the many cases of lyme diseases they cause.

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
My son went on a hiking trip and didn't know that he was bitten by a tick. He ignored the symptoms believing that it may have been something else. Well, when he finally went to get these dizzy spells checked out, he had advanced stage Lyme disease. He still has problems with his joints.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am lucky I guess, I just find them, kill them and only worry about the fact that for the next two hours or so, my mind tells me I have a dozen more on me. I usually end up with a lot of them and I am usually the first in the area to get one.

sibi said:
wow Jacqui, that's worse than taking my 10" knife with me for protection against the monster dog.

Jacqui said:
Kerryann said:
Oh no.. did you murder it?

Does taking grass shears and using the point of one of the blades and grinding it into the cement count?

:D It's either that or cutting them in half. :rolleyes: :D

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
sibi said:
My son went on a hiking trip and didn't know that he was bitten by a tick. He ignored the symptoms believing that it may have been something else. Well, when he finally went to get these dizzy spells checked out, he had advanced stage Lyme disease. He still has problems with his joints.

A similar thing happened to my husband. He started getting terrible headaches when he was away at Boarding school and ended up in the hospital with spinal
Meningitis from Lyne disease. He even developed bells palsy and was in & out of the hospital for a year. To say we hate ticks is an understatement!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's my fear with my son. He sometimes get headaches, and often feels sore around his joints. I don't know if this disease is progressive, or if it can be cured, or what. Can it kill him?
CtTortoiseMom said:
sibi said:

A similar thing happened to my husband. He started getting terrible headaches when he was away at Boarding school and ended up in the hospital with spinal
Meningitis from Lyne disease. He even developed bells palsy and was in & out of the hospital for a year. To say we hate ticks is an understatement!!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
sibi said:
wow Jacqui, that's worse than taking my 10" knife with me for protection against the monster dog.

Jacqui said:
Kerryann said:

Does taking grass shears and using the point of one of the blades and grinding it into the cement count?
Most people I know who had Lyme disease that was caught in time just took antibiotics for a week and were fine. There are a few kids a year that I know had an obvious bulls eye or tested positive for lyme and ended up in the hospital for a pic line of antibiotics but I have never heard that it was fatal. My husband was under the care of a rheumatologist for awhile. The first thing they would need to do is find out which tick Bourne illness it is... Lyme, Bebeziosis and anaplasmosis are very prevalent where I live. It also helps if he knows where he was (geographically) when he got bit because that could easily determine what type of tick it was as the different types carry different diseases.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I think I remembered him saying that he went hiking with friends in Connecticut. I'll double check with him, but I'm really worried for him because I want this thing to go away already. I think he'll have it for life though. can't the symptoms always return?
CtTortoiseMom said:
sibi said:

Jacqui said:
Kerryann said:

Most people I know who had Lyme disease that was caught in time just took antibiotics for a week and were fine. There are a few kids a year that I know had an obvious bulls eye or tested positive for lyme and ended up in the hospital for a pic line of antibiotics but I have never heard that it was fatal. My husband was under the care of a rheumatologist for awhile. The first thing they would need to do is find out which tick Bourne illness it is... Lyme, Bebeziosis and anaplasmosis are very prevalent where I live. It also helps if he knows where he was (geographically) when he got bit because that could easily determine what type of tick it was as the different types carry different diseases.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Uh oh, he probably does have Lyme :(. Don't worry it is very treatable. It is a simple blood test and if it doesn't come back positive his symptoms definitely sound like Lyne disease to me. They will probably treat him with 10 day's of doxycycline & naproxen for the joint inflammation and that usually works. If it is gone on for awhile like it had with my husband he may have contracted what locals call Lyme Meningitis, which is treatable it just takes a more aggressive course of action and unfortunately is confirmed by spinal tap.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I think that's where he's at. I have to ask if his doctor recommends a spinal tap. He told me the blood work was positive for Lyme disease. So, if he gets a spinal done and it's positive for this meningitis, what then?

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I honestly have never had a tick. They scare me but I must not be tasty to them or live in an area that they are or something?

I didn't sleep at all last night. Hopefully I can sleep tonight.

Eeek this dude on doomsday prepper was drinking his own urine. Mike was like ummm.. actually that would make your situation worse because it would dehydrate you..

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
They put my husband on IV antibiotics for a few months. Has he had any treatment yet for the Lyme? I think before doing a spinal tap he needs to go on a powerful antibiotic and anti inflammatory and see if that works. A spinal tap is unbelievably painful!

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Holy crud Sibi, I hope your son is okay. :( I had encephalitis which is a lot like meningitis symptoms and he should be feeling very sick and throwing up if he has it. He would also have headaches and potentially even dizzy spells. :(

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Kerryann said:
I honestly have never had a tick. They scare me but I must not be tasty to them or live in an area that they are or something?

Eeek this dude on doomsday prepper was drinking his own urine. Mike was like ummm.. actually that would make your situation worse because it would dehydrate you..

I think if I had to drink my own urine to survive I would not want to live like that so that's where I would be done!!

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
CtTortoiseMom said:
They put my husband on IV antibiotics for a few months. Has he had any treatment yet for the Lyme? I think before doing a spinal tap he needs to go on a powerful antibiotic and anti inflammatory and see if that works. A spinal tap is unbelievably painful!

Yes it is :(

CtTortoiseMom said:
Kerryann said:

I think if I had to drink my own urine to survive I would not want to live like that so that's where I would be done!!

Well unless you put it through a treatment like sea water and refine it you would only make your situation worse. :p

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
With all the alternatives to human urine, I'm with Mrs.C. on this one. I mean really, a cow puts out so much more than a human.
I had a spinal tap when I was 8/9 yrs old. I don't remember it hurting. I got to go to the ER lab and look at the slide too.purple stain was splattered everywhere in the sink area.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Cowboy_Ken said:
With all the alternatives to human urine, I'm with Mrs.C. on this one. I mean really, a cow puts out so much more than a human.
I had a spinal tap when I was 8/9 yrs old. I don't remember it hurting. I got to go to the ER lab and look at the slide too.purple stain was splattered everywhere in the sink area.

wait so you are sayin you want to not drink your own urine but would rather drink a cows urine?? ;):p

Status
Not open for further replies.