Refusing to show breeding facility?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I thoroughly enjoyed showing you guys around! Its great to get to show your stuff to other tortoise nerds!

But I would never allow potential buyers or anyone else I didn't know to come to the ranch. Friends and people I know are welcome though. The funny thing for me is that I feel like I get to know people through this forum. You and Yvonne, and Aldabraman too, are people I've met and talked to just from this forum, but I'd have no problem inviting you guys over. Barb too along with a few others. Dean visits me once in a while, and he's long over due for a visit. Hear that @DeanS ? LONG overdue...

I guess my point is that I can understand why someone wouldn't want people they don't know checkin' out their stuff in person, but sending a few pics to a potential buyer should be no problem for any breeder. I suspect the person in Aldabraman's post is a broker or re-seller. They either don't have pics, or the pics would show that its not their facility, or asking the real breeder for pics might cause a problem somehow or other.

We met-up at a show or two first, remember the psychedelic ZooMed shirt. All good.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I suspect the person in Aldabraman's post is a broker or re-seller. They either don't have pics, or the pics would show that its not their facility, or asking the real breeder for pics might cause a problem somehow or other.

~ My thoughts also.

SPILL

Illinois
I see a lot of pics used on websites that are taken from other sites. A quick image search is all it takes to find out if the pic is stolen. If you take pics of your facility specifically for one person then that person could use the pics, which would be unique, without being busted by an image search. Not saying that is the case, but it would be a legitimate reason I think.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
I saw this thread, He has posted a couple of links to youtube,and then you can see his other videos.
I've seen him post a lot on Facebook,usually on Ed Pirogs group

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see a lot of pics used on websites that are taken from other sites. A quick image search is all it takes to find out if the pic is stolen. If you take pics of your facility specifically for one person then that person could use the pics, which would be unique, without being busted by an image search. Not saying that is the case, but it would be a legitimate reason I think.
That's why I don't accept pictures through email in lieu of me actually going to the property to do a pre-adoption yard inspection.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you do it right, you will have information on the person coming to your home. Now days, not when I was breeding, you have the luxury of the internet. You can ask for all kinds of info of the future visitor, even a picture.
Puppy Mills/nasty breeders are the ones that won't let you show up.
Another way is to require a deposit before they show. This way you know they are serious about purchasing and not just wanting too see what you have.
When doing adoptions, I first go to the people's yard, that means I have THEIR address. Plus, I have their phone number from caller I.D. So I feel pretty safe allowing those people to come here to look at tortoises. But If someone just calls me because they saw my ad on craigslist and want to come see tortoises, I don't allow that.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
When doing adoptions, I first go to the people's yard, that means I have THEIR address. Plus, I have their phone number from caller I.D. So I feel pretty safe allowing those people to come here to look at tortoises. But If someone just calls me because they saw my ad on craigslist and want to come see tortoises, I don't allow that.
My gosh...just be safe! Maybe have a neighbor or friend with you when "lookers" come?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Like most, we don't have unknown people come over just because it's our home and private space. We have had family friends come by, and a few boy scout or cub scout groups have gotten some pretty cool tours here. A YouTube video will be happening next month of a full walk through that will show just about everything.

I don't mind sending photos for reasonable requests, particularly for a customer or past customer, but sending photos to people that just ask can get very time consuming, especially when you grant them because that just makes it happen more and more. We have gotten to the point where we provide photos to people after they purchase of a group of tortoises they can choose from. If they wanted to see the enclosure it came out of, I don't have a problem with that. Often, if someone asks for a photo of the available leopards (or whatever), I already have that photo on my phone and can send that over real quick, no big deal. If they asked for a photo of the enclosure that their tortoise was raised in, I guess I don't have a problem with that, but I don't get that request very often (and keep a few of those photos on my phone also to send real quick).

We recently sold a regular customer three greek tortoises, she was a regular buyer, so I didn't worry about taking the time to send pics ahead of time. Getting payment took a while (10 days, multiple debit card attempts), and then before shipping, she asked for another photo which I didn't really understand, but I did send her another photo as we put them in the box. It seems like the non-customers that ask for photos and get them ahead of time are the ones that you don't hear back from until 2 months later when they ask for updated pics. The more you grant them, it seems the more requests you get with little commitment or interest in buying. I would become a free photo factory, if I let that happen.

Last edited: