Should I take my baby sulcata to the vet for check ups

Sully mom

Location (City and/or State)
Salisbury, MD
I dont know how to tell if my baby gets sick I just need to know how offten to take him to the vet. Thank you

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
my thought is no , only take him to the vet if he's sick …….. if they're clear eyed , alert , and eating normally/regularly , they're most likely not sick ………...

Sully mom

Salisbury, MD
my thought is no , only take him to the vet if he's sick …….. if they're clear eyed , alert , and eating normally/regularly , they're most likely not sick ………...
He is 3 weeks old and has been eating lettuce collard greens like a champ but recently has stopped and will really only eat grass and hasn't gained weight he stayed at 1.7 oz is that a problem?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not unless a tortoise is sick and where the home remedies don't help. Most vets do more harm then good when it comes too tortoises.
Your torts diet needs to be a much bigger variety then what you were feeding it. 2-3 items isn't enough. Add spring mix, romaine, grass, and any of the many leaves, weeds and flowers that is on the feed lists. Look here for safe foods. Be sure they are pesticide free and no fresh fertilizers

https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is nothing any vet can do, but they will still take your money.

What was the source of the baby and how was it started?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
a reptile vet can easily treat an animal half the size of your baby tortoise ……….. I personally just wouldn't take him to the vet unless I was sure he was sick …….. i'd check his environmental conditions and diet with some of the info on this board ……. make sure he can hide , stress can be a killer ……… while I never raised a sulcata , I think a young anything that isn't gaining weight is an indication of a problem , not always health , could be environmental ……. he should be clear eyed , no nasal discharge , shouldn't breathe through his mouth , his eyes should open easily when you disturb him , they shouldn't be stuck shut ………… I read a lot of bad raps on vets , not sure where these folks are finding them ? but i assume they're out there ........ the veterinarians i'm familiar with tend to be exceptionally smart , some absolutely brilliant animal people , they tend to know the other vets in the area , if it's not something they do ,they have no problem sending you to a different vet , at least the ones I've used don't ……….. having a vet to go to is an excellent idea for anyone keeping any animal ……….. when I know they're sick , the vet is my first choice , I been keeping this stuff my whole life , so I've had a ton of vets …… I don't lose many animals ………

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
So I gather from this - there are vets, and then there are vets.

If you feel you should take your baby to a vet, find a well recommended, experienced reptile vet. I have lost two very precious snakes by taking them to a "vet", whereas if I had just been patient and more informed, they may still be alive.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
So I gather from this - there are vets, and then there are vets.

If you feel you should take your baby to a vet, find a well recommended, experienced reptile vet. I have lost two very precious snakes by taking them to a "vet", whereas if I had just been patient and more informed, they may still be alive.

So the moral of this story is "you need to vet the vet"? Lol j/k :p