Sulcata heated home temperature

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pomona California
What would be the ideal night temp on a heated house for a large 77 pound 8 year old sulcata that is being housed outside.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What would be the ideal night temp on a heated house for a large 77 pound 8 year old sulcata that is being housed outside.
I either unplug it or set it to 70 in summer when its 100 degrees every day. I set it at 80 for fall and spring with our warm days and cold nights. I set it to 86 in winter when we have our cold spells and rain.

lizysexpistol

5 Year Member
Pomona California
I either unplug it or set it to 70 in summer when its 100 degrees every day. I set it at 80 for fall and spring with our warm days and cold nights. I set it to 86 in winter when we have our cold spells and rain.
Thanks for the info, how do you feel about hound heaters for a large sulcata?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the info, how do you feel about hound heaters for a large sulcata?
I believe those are just a CHE contained in their proprietary housing. I don't like CHEs over large sulcatas because they concentrate too much heat into too small of an area and end up slow cooking the top of the tortoise. Plus a CHE alone probably won't be enough in our climate.

Whatever heating elements you use, the key is insulation and sealant. The thread that Maro linked above is one way to do it, and here is my usual other way to do it: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

Each thread shows a different and effective way to heat the night boxes. Other methods I've tried failed in one way or another. Without the right box, no heating strategy will work very well.

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
I am in Texas and it is 53 degrees outside and only 72 in my insulated night house. It is heated but maybe not well enough. It is supposed to get down to 34 degrees tonight. Should I bring them inside? They are 4 years old and 8 lbs, and 8".

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I am in Texas and it is 53 degrees outside and only 72 in my insulated night house. It is heated but maybe not well enough. It is supposed to get down to 34 degrees tonight. Should I bring them inside? They are 4 years old and 8 lbs, and 8".

What kind of heat are you using in the night house?

CEvans

Phoenix
My enclosure at night is around 60 degrees. My guy is 75lbs. Should I try to get it warmer? it is 45 at night.
What kind of heating pad should I by. The bottom of his night enclosure is plywood on concrete.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
My enclosure at night is around 60 degrees. My guy is 75lbs. Should I try to get it warmer? it is 45 at night.
What kind of heating pad should I by. The bottom of his night enclosure is plywood on concrete.

I went with a 18x27 Kane mat on Tom's recommendation and have been very happy. I got mine from Tortoise Supply: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/kane

You may need a larger one for a 75lb sulcata. My guy is only about 30 at the moment

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Much too cold. Shoot for at least 80, but I like it to be around 86 on cold winter days and nights. Well... "cold" by AZ or SoCal standards... And sulcata standards.

This will be difficult to accomplish without an insulated and sealed night box. Here are two ways to do it:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

Insulation is key. Without it, your heaters will have to run a lot to maintain temps. All that electric heat really drys things out.