Tom's response to "Garden State Tortoise" Video

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Why would coir or bark have any less chance for build up?
I imagine sand having a mushy cement like consistency that would be easier to combine together in the gut vs bark or coir, I’m sure it’s not an issue for some but definitely has been for others regardless of the reasoning behind it🫤

S2G

AL
I imagine sand having a mushy cement like consistency that would be easier to combine together in the gut vs bark or coir, I’m sure it’s not an issue for some but definitely has been for others regardless of the reasoning behind it🫤
We got snacks & a comfy chair...

Theyve evolved for sand. How many have evolved for bark & coir?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
They’ve evolved for sand. How many have evolved for bark & coir?
I’m not saying they’ve evolved to be on bark&coir anymore than they’ve evolved be on sand in a captive environment, I just see one with unnecessary risks when looking at the bigger picture of care as a whole, that outweigh the benefits it can provide in captivity.
Because one guy says so...
We have definitely seen from some of the posts shared, sand has been an issue for some captive tortoises, not necessarily the cause of death(we can’t know for sure) but an issue nevertheless.. whether that was exacerbated but other issues with care or illness, that doesn’t matter to me when it’s just simpler to avoid being an added problem altogether I guess🫤

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why would coir or bark have any less chance for build up?
I don't have proof they don't but I don't remember ever hearing/reading about coir being an impaction. I do remember some tortoises having swallowed chips, but I don't believe there has been an impaction reported. My opinion is the coir seems like it would be harder to swallow, where I know sand isn't, as I have had many times sand in my own mouth, beach sand that is and it was hard to get rid of it and it wasn't a lot, just blowing sand or when someone shakes their towel in your face or runs by kicking up sand. But I have not had coir in my mouth, so can't say how hard that would be to remove. Wood chips would be harder to swallow and likely spit out once they realized it wasn't food, I would think.
I always preferred the coir for little ones and I use chips for the winter enclosures and natural ground in summer.