Tortoise having eyes closed

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
ok i actually have no idea why is my city london i just noticed ops.....and sure i will get a thermostat too i was planing to do that anyways
Thanks for updating your location; it's important when giving advice that members have an idea of where you are and your climate.

Torty23

Middle East
Thanks everyone... I ordered what is needed and waiting for it yo come.... Btw update on her state that whenever she opens her eyes (normally after soaking her) she keeps blinking for a while till she closes her eyes back... Her eyes look okay though..

Torty23

Middle East
Update.. Yesterday she was super inactive and even when i touched her, her reactions were slow... Today though she is active and seems fine... The heat lamp arrived yesterday night so i think it might have helped... Didn't open her eyes for 2 days straight though

Torty23

Middle East
273746588_913255139349781_2610434628710007358_n.jpg
some pictures from today....again same blinking problem but her eyes seem to me a bit swallowed..i'm not a 100% sure though but can u see anything wrong with them ?

Torty23

Middle East

Attachments

• 273763427_526068095604579_5436097807183585119_n.jpg
    273763427_526068095604579_5436097807183585119_n.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 274204598_3150823375154179_5161664567935442797_n.jpg
    274204598_3150823375154179_5161664567935442797_n.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 6

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
What is the humidity levels in the environment? Were you able to cover it up to increase the humidity?
Are you using any compact fluorescent UV Bulb's, or MV (Mercury Vapor) Bulbs they are hard on the eyes....

Torty23

Middle East
What is the humidity levels in the environment? Were you able to cover it up to increase the humidity?
Are you using any compact fluorescent UV Bulb's, or MV (Mercury Vapor) Bulbs they are hard on the eyes....
Well im not sure about the exact level but right now here it's 32% so it must somewhere near that.. Im using mercury uv lamps but i could not use them for a while and try...

Torty23

Middle East
Well im not sure about the exact level but right now here it's 32% so it must somewhere near that.. Im using mercury uv lamps but i could not use them for a while and try...
I could spary some water to keep it more humid if thats needed

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I could spray some water to keep it more humid if that's needed
So in previous post's you said the temp's were 4° to 15°C, those temps are too cold. If you haven't already, you need to get those temp's up, and 32% Humidity levels are way too low.
Yes, if your soaking her every day, for 20 to 30 min in warm water, most likely Hydration is not the issue....

Torty23

Middle East
So in previous post's you said the temp's were 4° to 15°C, those temps are too cold. If you haven't already, you need to get those temp's up, and 32% Humidity levels are way too low.
Yes, if your soaking her every day, for 20 to 30 min in warm water, most likely Hydration is not the issue....
Yeah i got her a heat lamp and hopefully soon enough the temps over all will get higher

Torty23

Middle East
Hey so um she hasnt eaten for a week now cus of her eyes is there anything i could do to make her eat

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Hey so um she hasnt eaten for a week now cus of her eyes is there anything i could do to make her eat
You can try mixing in 1/2 a small jar of Carrot Baby Food into the soak water.
A lil hydration and feed at the same time, might help stimulate the eating.

LJL1982

UK
Greek tortoise....Age around 2 or 2 and a half years judging from the shell , i'm using UV Bulbs for heat and light although they are only mostly used to wake her up then she goes and sits in the sun for the entire day pretty much ,
It's around 15 degrees C during the day and gets to like 4 C degrees during the night (i'm not certain about what the four temperatures thing)
It's way too cold for her especially at that age, UVB lamp won't do it alone, you need a UVA bulb for heat or a ceramic heat emitter bulb aswell, or A combined UVA UVB bulb.

She really needs UVB this time of year but you may get away with heating if she is inside. It's not ideal, but even raising your central heating to 21C during the day and mid teens during the night would be preferable as a minimum as this would not be colder than outdoor summer temperatures in lots of places.

Where are you? She definitely if outside at least needs to come in. It's a bit too late to hibernate and it hasn't been planned so you need to get her up and properly awake now. She can't eat or metabolise nutrients, or digest while too cool (4c is below hibernation temperature), and you will lose her if you don't take action.

Don't over think it though, it doesn't have to be expensive, or difficult, there are quick wins you can do to get her happy and healthy again so let us know where you are at so far and also if possible post a pic of her enclosure. My Greek Ibera failed to hibernate and is very happily living in my office until he's back out in the garden with a few cheap bits of set up.

If you have the money, the Exo Terra SolarGlo combined UVA UVB bulb is superb, and the large basking dome by exoterra fits it great.

Torty23

Middle East
hey....i talked to a vet online and she told me that the tort has Mycoplasma...she most likely got it because she haven't seen the sun for god knows how long before i got her and i don't know if she will make it either...she is looking very sick now ...she told about some injections but it might be too late already.... :C

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
hey....i talked to a vet online and she told me that the tort has Mycoplasma...she most likely got it because she haven't seen the sun for god knows how long before i got her and i don't know if she will make it either...she is looking very sick now ...she told about some injections but it might be too late already.... :C
OMG, that's terrible News, I'm so sorry to hear that. Hoping that you have a strong fighter.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Has that vet ever SEEN your tortoise in person? You cannot diagnose Mycoplasma without doing laboratory tests on the blood or nasal discharge of the animal.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Has that vet ever SEEN your tortoise in person? You cannot diagnose Mycoplasma without doing laboratory tests on the blood or nasal discharge of the animal.
Probably a hypothesis with observation's and symptoms. Positive ID/diagnosis is not complete w/o Lab test...