TortoiseForum.org BOOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
From a business standpoint, no one is going to pay for a book when all the information and pictures that would be in it are available for free on this website. Any money put forward on a project like this would have a better return if it were flushed down the toilet. There are some big ego's on the forum, feelings WOULD be hurt. We've chased away some knowledgable people in the tortoise community already, something like this could ruin this forum.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Seems like most the info is right here on TFO. It just needs to be better organized and easily accessable. With so much info on the net anyone can write a book. If you look at most reptile and tortoise books the authors site 50 different people just to write their book, its just a twist or a translation on info provided. Even field researchers site other field researchers.

What if someone or TFO appointed 2-3 members per species to compile the info written here. It would take time and probably be alot of work. These chosen members could basically cut and paste posts writen by members who post here. They could have editing powers and PM people who posted ideas that were good but incomplete asking them to elaborate more on the subject or provide more supporting info. They could compile the info here on TFO in another NEW SECTION.

It would be near impossible to go back and read everything. Good thing about TFO is alot of the stuff talked about here gets recycled, mostly from new members that dont know that we already discussed that topic. So, the chosen ones could start tagging posts that they can easily reference or go back to. If these chosen ones had extra time they could also read the archives looking for info.

I read all kinds of stuff and dont think Ive ever completely agreed with what was written. Whatever it is that would come of this is going to be subjective like most books, but it would be unique in that it compiled using posts from mostly Hobbyist.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
What about pamphlets or brochure type forms of information.

We can start slow. Creating a thread and PM's from the experienced tortoise keepers based off of their knowledge on that type of tortoise. Then, in the thread we can write out the GENERAL care topics and the pertinent info.

Much like flyers are created (regular printing paper) these brochures/pamphlets can be handed out at shows referencing TFO as the SOURCE and in turn generate traffic to the website and ultimately more income.

Others can elaborate on that idea...but again...just an idea.

B K

5 Year Member
How about a Monthly topic where everyone who has experience in that topic can post and at the end of the month make it a permanent post the mods can keep the bickering out of it and the questions should be sent as a pm to the Pearson you have a question for. I like to read what everyone does and use what works best for me.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Any so those topics can be sticked.

I like that idea, it sort of goes along with ONAROCK saying that this forum needs to be a little more organized.

Tom's thread on how to raise baby/hatchling sulcatas has always been stickied. Maybe we should get one going for every type of tortoise. It does not have to be SUPER detailed but can be something a little more general.

You do see the same questions asked OVER AND OVER again and even though those questions are answered and linked at the home page...newbies don't really see that. They go directly to the forum and post a thread.

If the topics are stickied and bolded out they can go into that thread and post a question or read through it. Newbies should ALSO be encouraged to use the SEARCH bar. It says google search so they might not know that it is actually customized to this forum only.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Excellent points Neal.

Neal said:
From a business standpoint, no one is going to pay for a book when all the information and pictures that would be in it are available for free on this website. Any money put forward on a project like this would have a better return if it were flushed down the toilet. There are some big ego's on the forum, feelings WOULD be hurt. We've chased away some knowledgable people in the tortoise community already, something like this could ruin this forum.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
FernandoM said:
Any so those topics can be sticked.

I like that idea, it sort of goes along with ONAROCK saying that this forum needs to be a little more organized.

Tom's thread on how to raise baby/hatchling sulcatas has always been stickied. Maybe we should get one going for every type of tortoise. It does not have to be SUPER detailed but can be something a little more general.

You do see the same questions asked OVER AND OVER again and even though those questions are answered and linked at the home page...newbies don't really see that. They go directly to the forum and post a thread.

If the topics are stickied and bolded out they can go into that thread and post a question or read through it. Newbies should ALSO be encouraged to use the SEARCH bar. It says google search so they might not know that it is actually customized to this forum only.

I suggested something like this last year I think, I'll have to find my original post. I wanted the topics to be more organized, so new people could find the conversations that we have had in the past, to help answer their questions, without bringing up the same things over and over again. I think my idea was shot down pretty quickly. I love the ideas here, and would buy a book. I have no ego, nor would I care if I weren't included. I just enjoy that we have such an awesome community here!

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.