UVB

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Actually I don't want to use a uvb lamp, However, this week and last week, the sun rarely appears so they only get sun 3 times a week, but I still soak them every day. I'm afraid they will get mbd so I want to buy a uvb lamp. But I give them pellets containing calcium d3 for their shells, can that help? and I soak them by dripping hydrobozz in the soak
Tortoises store D3 in their bodies for later use. There are many variables at work, but any normal tortoise can go several weeks with no UV at all, and in some cases they can go more than 6 months. Adding D3 to the diet or with a calcium supplement can extend that time substantially and possibly indefinitely.

This being the case, they do not need hours of UV every day. Just a couple of hours a week, with no D3 supplementation in the diet, will prevent MBD completely. Skipping UV for a couple of weeks now and then due to bad weather or a busy work schedule will do no harm whatsoever, and there will be no hint of any MBD. With some D3 supplementation, these time frames can be extended even further. To bring about MBD in a tortoise, they have to go for many months indoors with a poor diet, no calcium or D3 supplementation, and no indoor UVB source. Even brief amounts of time outdoors once a month will stave off MBD for a long time. Years in some cases.

Most people in warm sunny climates do not need indoor UV, and can easily get by without it. If you live in a cold northern climate, then UV indoors is essential.

What is hydrobozz? We don't have that here, and I'm coming up empty on an internet search.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Tortoises store D3 in their bodies for later use. There are many variables at work, but any normal tortoise can go several weeks with no UV at all, and in some cases they can go more than 6 months. Adding D3 to the diet or with a calcium supplement can extend that time substantially and possibly indefinitely.

This being the case, they do not need hours of UV every day. Just a couple of hours a week, with no D3 supplementation in the diet, will prevent MBD completely. Skipping UV for a couple of weeks now and then due to bad weather or a busy work schedule will do no harm whatsoever, and there will be no hint of any MBD. With some D3 supplementation, these time frames can be extended even further. To bring about MBD in a tortoise, they have to go for many months indoors with a poor diet, no calcium or D3 supplementation, and no indoor UVB source. Even brief amounts of time outdoors once a month will stave off MBD for a long time. Years in some cases.

Most people in warm sunny climates do not need indoor UV, and can easily get by without it. If you live in a cold northern climate, then UV indoors is essential.

What is hydrobozz? We don't have that here, and I'm coming up empty on an internet search.
Thank you for explaining this more in depth Tom!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This is not correct. UV doesn't metabolize anything. UBV of the correct spectrum allows the tortoise to convert D2 into D3. If D3 is taken in orally, no further conversion is needed for it to do its work in assisting the body with calcium assimilation.
Just to clear up this rookie error of mine! I’d been juggling quite a lot of threads yesterday and fired off that comment without thinking😂it is indeed the D2 that’s derived from plants in their diet that is then converted into D3 by the uv, which then helps them absorb calcium, all the letters and numbers get lost on me sometimes🥲but I shouldn’t make those kind of mistakes on here! Apologises!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Just to clear up this rookie error of mine! I’d been juggling quite a lot of threads yesterday and fired off that comment without thinking😂it is indeed the D2 that’s derived from plants in their diet that is then converted into D3 by the uv, which then helps them absorb calcium, all the letters and numbers get lost on me sometimes🥲but I shouldn’t make those kind of mistakes on here! Apologises!

D2 is not converted into D3.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I was quoting Toms observation there? Unless I misunderstood?

The post you quoted is wrong. D2 is not converted into D3, and D3 (or D2) does undergo further conversion before being utilized by the body.

This video shows the D3 process. The first 30 seconds shows the UVB produced portion of it; after that it shows the part where the liver & kidneys are involved which applies to dietary D2 & D3 also. As a bonus it also shows the role heat plays in the process, which is why pairing heat with the UVB source is best.

This article by Frances Baines has a graphic that shows it a little more in depth, also noting that the part that is done by the kidneys can be done to a lesser extent in other organs.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
As a bonus it also shows the role heat plays in the process, which is why pairing heat with the UVB source is best.
I’ll look into what you’ve said, but with this, I’d still have separate t5 uv and an incandescent bulb for the basking heat for multiple reasons, but obviously mounted close together to provide the benefits you’re referring to. Maybe that what’s you mean anyway and not all in one bulbs🙂

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I’ll look into what you’ve said, but with this, I’d still have separate t5 uv and an incandescent bulb for the basking heat for multiple reasons, but obviously mounted close together to provide the benefits you’re referring to. Maybe that what’s you mean anyway and not all in one bulbs🙂

I can see how I was unclear, but yes, I was referring to 2 separate sources mounted near each other.