Vet visit questions

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
@Yvonne G @Sara G. @Kori5 @Lyn W @JoesMum @martaemha @Rue
Update on Ned:
Ned has shed/is in the process of shedding his tough dry skin with the help of hydration.

His edema hasnt gone down. He is still swollen around neck, where his neck joins front paws and also around his tail.vet thinks the edema is caused by low blood protein but is unsure why he isnt absorbing protein properly. Could be problem with kidney/liver. She said usually kidney probs dont show up in blood unless at a very bad stage. He is not showing very bad levels with regards kidneys. He is still recieving antibiotics, hydration and now diahorretics.

He still hasnt pooped so no fecal test.He is alert and eating well but they are also now tube feeding him more fibre in hopes he will poop.

Vet said she doesnt want to send him home tomorrow as she feels he hasnt improved enough and she hasnt gotten the swelling down or pinpointed the problem. She feels it would be like sending him home with only half a treatment.She wants me to leave him till next week and see how he is progressing.

I go back to work next week and was hoping to have him home tomorrow but i realise it is in his best interest to stay there and continue any treatment he needs. If i lived closer I could go there and take him home tomorrow till Monday but it just isnt practical to get him home and back there.

He will be staying with her into next week anyway and hopefully she can find out more and give him what he needs. Trying to stay hopeful and lookibg forward to having him back home!
Sorry to hear Ned has to stay longer but as you say its in his best interest and the sooner they get to the bottom of the swelling and can treat him the sooner he will be home. Get well soon, Ned!!

martaemha

5 Year Member
Poland
Well, sometimes with these little guys it takes a lot of time for them to recover so I guess you just have to be patient. You seem to have found a reliable vet who knows what she is doing so he is in good hands. I really hope that few more days of hydration, tube feeding and other treatments will help overcome the edema. I know you probably feel disappointed he's not coming home tomorrow but think about the joy you two will share once he returns for good:)

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Poor Ned! And poor you! But hopefully the vet will figure out the cause of everything and get him to a much better place. I know it's rough not having him around for another week but hang in there! Soon Ned will be home before you know it, likely ready to destroy whatever plants he sets his mind to. ;)

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
@Lyn W @Yvonne G @JoesMum @Kori5 @dmmj @Sara G. @martaemha @Rue @Tom
@wellington
Update on Ned
So not the update I wanted to hear but the vet said Ned is not eating today which ia a big change because she said he has been stuffing his face every other day. He is not as alert. Nothing else to report. She will be in to give his treatment tomorrow and said will let me know how it goes.

Rue

Canada
Could be he's just tired too...lots of stress for the little guy.

Hopefully he'll perk up again!

martaemha

5 Year Member
Poland
Maybe he's lost his appetite because he hasn't pooped yet? Or the weather's changing? Or it is the tube feeding that made him full? Hope he starts eating tomorrow, this update really disturbed me:( But please think positive, after all it's just one day!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Martaemha makes a good point. A tortoise's metabolism is quite a bit slower than a mammal's. It sometimes take a couple weeks for today's meal to reach output. So, unless the vet is tubing a very small quantity of food, the tortoise is probably pretty full.

Kori5

Well he has been eating pretty well so I wouldn't worry about just one day. Maybe he is full as others say :).

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Fingers crossed he is just full. Positive thoughts are on their way through cyber space for Ned and you.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
@Rue @JoesMum @martaemha @Yvonne G @Lyn W @Kori5 @Sara G.
Thanks everyody. I wont lie. Im sick with worry. I know it won't do him any good but i can't help it. I am really really hoping that he is just full from all he has eaten in the past few days and the tube feeding paired with the fact he hasnt pooped. I wish this wasnt happening over a weekend although the vet has assured me she will be there tomorrow to give him his treatment. Can only wait fingers crossed and hope for an improvement tomorrow. Thanks for all the reassurances guys! I really appreciate it!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@Rue @JoesMum @martaemha @Yvonne G @Lyn W @Kori5 @Sara G.
Thanks everyody. I wont lie. Im sick with worry. I know it won't do him any good but i can't help it. I am really really hoping that he is just full from all he has eaten in the past few days and the tube feeding paired with the fact he hasnt pooped. I wish this wasnt happening over a weekend although the vet has assured me she will be there tomorrow to give him his treatment. Can only wait fingers crossed and hope for an improvement tomorrow. Thanks for all the reassurances guys! I really appreciate it!
And we are worrying with you.

I have been there myself with a very sick tort admitted. I honestly decided I was the worst human ever, not fit to care for Joe ever again if he made it.

I will echo what others have said about recovery times - torts aren't the fastest creatures and that includes recovery.

Big electronic hugs and fingers firmly crossed - praying for a good outcome.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
@Yvonne G @Rue @Lyn W @JoesMum @martaemha @Kori5 @Sara G.
Update on Ned
Rang the vet in the am and she said that Neds swelling was going down and almost gone. She has been giving saline shots the whole time but had later started to also give diarrheatics. She didnt want to do that straight away as she wanted to hydrate him first and the two together would have been counterproductive. Due to the hydration his skin is looking much better.She said he had pooped a very very solid poop which she will have analysed and will have results tomorrow. She also said his appetite is back up again.His last antibiotic injection is Wednesday morning and if he stays eating and his fecal samples are clear she sees no reason why he cant come home Wednesday!Good news day!!

martaemha

5 Year Member
Poland
I just jumped to the ceiling with joy reading this:) You're a tough little boy Ned! Well done! And my appreciation to the vet, she's really a good one! So, Wednesday is going to be your lucky day! :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@Yvonne G @Rue @Lyn W @JoesMum @martaemha @Kori5 @Sara G.
Update on Ned
Rang the vet in the am and she said that Neds swelling was going down and almost gone. She has been giving saline shots the whole time but had later started to also give diarrheatics. She didnt want to do that straight away as she wanted to hydrate him first and the two together would have been counterproductive. Due to the hydration his skin is looking much better.She said he had pooped a very very solid poop which she will have analysed and will have results tomorrow. She also said his appetite is back up again.His last antibiotic injection is Wednesday morning and if he stays eating and his fecal samples are clear she sees no reason why he cant come home Wednesday!Good news day!!
Fantastic news! :)

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
I just jumped to the ceiling with joy reading this:) You're a tough little boy Ned! Well done! And my appreciation to the vet, she's really a good one! So, Wednesday is going to be your lucky day! :)
He's definately a little fighter! And she is definately my new forever vet! Nearly at the last hurdle now! Go Ned!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Whoo hoo!! Great news Cathy!!
The antibiotics could have affected his appetite too from what I have read here, but it's a good sign it's picking up again.
Looking forward to hearing that Ned is home and back to his usual routines again soon.
Thanks for letting us now.

Kori5

I'm so glad to hear he is eating again :). I think he's going to get some jummy treats when he gets back home :D.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
I'm so glad to hear he is eating again :). I think he's going to get some jummy treats when he gets back home :D.

He is going to be spoiled rotton!! I found a nursery today with perfect plants for his outdoor enclosure too. If we ever get the weather for it!

Reactions: Rue