Water habits?

aevagiddeon

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Is it normal for little redfoots to soak with their heads completely tucked in? Or is Pickle just a weirdo?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Besha is soaking like on the photo :) However, she pulls her head several times to wet it.

Maybe Pickle doesn't like something (temperature or water level) or just relaxed and taking a nap.

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_043331836.jpg
    PXL_20240414_043331836.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

aevagiddeon

Virginia
Besha is soaking like on the photo :) However, she pulls her head several times to wet it.

Maybe Pickle doesn't like something (temperature or water level) or just relaxed and taking a nap.
She pokes in and out. Washes her face. This is a new thing she's doing. First it was... I'm not soaking. Got her a little tub..... I love soaking. Now she's trying to soak her brain. The temp hasn't changed. We went on vacation for 2 weeks. Pickle goes with us.

aevagiddeon

Virginia
That's what I'm beginning to see lol. They really like water. And people. This is one social tort.
Many new Redfoot keepers are surprised by just how aquatic the species is.
I just went out to feed my group.
11am. 79° and overcast.
They're all in the pools.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Many new Redfoot keepers are surprised by just how aquatic the species is.
I just went out to feed my group.
11am. 79° and overcast.
They're all in the pools.
Damn. My RF is an atypical one. She hates rain, rarely seen in the pool, mostly stays away from humid and shady part of the outdoor enclosure And what's the worst she is a *picky eater*.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Layla is the easiest tortoise I have ever kept. She eats anything. She soaks in her 'paint roller pan' on her own. Even after she eats she likes to come out and say hi...This is the first year she has been outside, and because this is the Pacific Northwest she has only been in her outside enclosure twice...but she walked around and looked at everything and had a nap and walked around some more. I have had Sulcata who ate anything, and desert tortoises, RES some were easy keepers...none as easy as Layla...this is my most favorite picture of Layla, she is giving me her opinion on having an empty food dish...lolDSCN2247.JPG

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Damn. My RF is an atypical one. She hates rain, rarely seen in the pool, mostly stays away from humid and shady part of the outdoor enclosure And what's the worst she is a *picky eater*.
Mine come running out in the rain. Like dogs looking for a favorite toy

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Layla is the easiest tortoise I have ever kept. She eats anything. She soaks in her 'paint roller pan' on her own. Even after she eats she likes to come out and say hi...This is the first year she has been outside, and because this is the Pacific Northwest she has only been in her outside enclosure twice...but she walked around and looked at everything and had a nap and walked around some more. I have had Sulcata who ate anything, and desert tortoises, RES some were easy keepers...none as easy as Layla...this is my most favorite picture of Layla, she is giving me her opinion on having an empty food dish...lolView attachment 369677
Easy?
Or easy by Houdini standards?

ND135

Maryland
Is it normal for little redfoots to soak with their heads completely tucked in? Or is Pickle just a weirdo?
What is your water temperature? How high/deep is the water?
Pickle-such a cute name! My Lightning will take his head in/out to rinse but he keeps his head out for the majority of the bath.
Early days-he was scared to death to bathe in the sink. Brought his head in and would practically panic to get out. So we started slow (the soup bowl you see as my profile pic) was his first regular bathtub. Then we graduated to a Tupperware, then an oversized dog bowl and NOW Lightning loves the sink!

Good luck-keep us posted.