What breed is she?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I recently went down to the local shelter and got a dog. I’m still on the waiting list to get a guide dog but until that happens I decided I would get one and train it for my neighbor. I will keep the dog until the guide dog school has one ready for me. But I don’t know what kind of dog she is.
She is two years old plus or minus, 17 inches tall, and weighs 16 pounds. One ear up and one ear down :) Black with brindle highlights on her legs chest face etc. she is not yappy,, has a very intense prey drive, acts like a terrier all the way. Any ideas?
IMG_4264.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Its a Doberhuahua!!!

OK, that was flipping hilarious! I wondered if some little male dog got ambitious with a larger female Doberman. I am not familiar with little dogs or terrier breeds. People keep telling me it’s the Chihuahua but there’s no way, does not have Chihuahua characteristics.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would guess a possible toy fox terrier. Also could be min pin/chihuahua mix or min pin/toy fox terrier mix or toy fox/chihuahua. For sure has Terrier.
If it were a medium to larger breed I'm 99.9% right on the mixes. Small breeds not so much.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I took her to the vet for her free initial health exam that the Humane Society gives you when you adopt a dog. They think she is a Minpin Jack Russell cross.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think they’ve got it right. It matches her personality, her size, and both breeds are popular enough that it could be possible around here.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I definitely see min pin in the mix. My mom bred them for many years.

Not sure what other breed the brindle coloring came from. Brindle is not a common color in the Jack russel.

When people ask I'd say a "min pin/ terrier mix"

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I definitely see min pin in the mix. My mom bred them for many years.

Not sure what other breed the brindle coloring came from. Brindle is not a common color in the Jack russel.

When people ask I'd say a "min pin/ terrier mix"

I have seen pictures of min pins with brindle. I’ve never seen brindle on a Jack Russell. Maybe rat terrier or Manchester terrier but people say that they are very rare. All I know, is that there is no Chihuahua blood in this dog. Terrier all the way. My previous dogs have been part spaniel. Much more easy-going :) not as intense as this one. But she is learning quickly. I need to teach her to leave the cats in the chickens alone. I’m not quite sure how to do it but I guess I will have to figure it out. I keep forgetting that she doesn’t know what “leave it “means

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm a chihuahua person and I see no chihuahua in this dog. Min pin maybe, Manchester terrier maybe, some kind of terrier. Chihuahua....no.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don’t think they are very accurate. My friend did one for her dog and it was so obviously wrong.
I agree. For a few years there one of the services almost always came back with some "chow" in the mix in dogs that obviously had no chow chow in their lineage.

I don't know why exactly they seemed to be so inaccurate, but they were. Don't know if its gotten any better over the years, but I don't trust them.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I saw a youtube video where a gal shared the results of her dog's test. She had sent in DNA from her purebred AKC blue ribbon champion and it came back with a random mutt lineage LOL
It was funny how she joked that all the AKC judges must have been wrong! :rolleyes:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Brindle isn't a min pin color either.

We could all go round and round guessing what is in that dog. Or what mixes were in the parent dogs etc.

So, branching out from dog genetics, how's life with a dog again? Does your neighbor know that the dog will be theirs eventually? Are you feeding kibble or feeding raw like you did with Aspen?