1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

What To Do About Pics Of Inappropriate Tortoise Practices?

Discussion in 'Debatable Topics' started by Tom, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Here's the harm (I've told this story before, but it bears repeating):

Mildred, an adult desert tortoise, lived with this older couple happily roaming the backyard and living in peace. One day the couple got a labrador pup. The pup shared Mildred's yard and they lived there together for 15 years. One summer the older couple went away on vacation and their grown son came over every so often to gather the mail, check the animals, water the plants. When the couple got home they found Mildred with one of her front legs chewed totally off, clear up to the shoulder.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    ZEROPILOT, orv and Cowboy_Ken like this.
  2. Kennabear914

Kennabear914 New Member

Omg that is horrible! I understand the danger in that sense but i’d never leave them alone together, always with supervision. They usually only see each other when I take Ollie out of his enclosure and let him roam around a little, but I only let him do that under supervision so
  3. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

Zombie thread!
    Jay Bagley, Taylor T. and motero like this.
  4. terryo

terryo Well-Known Member 10 Year Member!

On Instagram there was a picture posted of a box turtle who was either chewed up or hit by a car...don't remember. The turtles shell was screwed together with these big screws...a couple on the top and 4 underneat . Then a wire was twisted around these big screws to hold the shell together. I was sick looking at it, but I didn't say anything. A while back I commented on something else this person did and I got a lot of backlash. Now if I see a situation that won't make a difference, no matter what I say, I just keep quiet.
    Jay Bagley, ZEROPILOT and Cowboy_Ken like this.
  5. Benjtort

Benjtort Active Member

While y’all are talking about tortoises eating fruit mine just sits there like we don’t like fruit:):p
  6. LoutheRussian

LoutheRussian Well-Known Member

I joined this forum five or so years ago when I rescued/inherited my
    Ex girlfriends Russian. When she left him at my house he was in a small cardboard box and nothing else. I had no idea what I was doing so I cut connected several other boxes together just to give him more space. If I hadn't stumbled across TFO I'd have been lost and Lou would have suffered for it. I asked a lot of questions some of which I get silly for not knowing any answer to. Everyone and I mean everyone was incredibly helpful and gently guided me through my beginning fazes of tort ownership. Everything from his enclosure, heat lamps, UV info down to his diet I was given suggestions corrections and when I needed it a firm and direct check of what I was doing wrong that could potentially bring harm to my tortoise. I was between jobs and broke at the time and one member even sent me a link to a $50 gift card to a tort supply store. I have learned so much from so many of the members here. I've seen people come on strong when correcting people and I've seen it gently put. I've seen positive and negative reactions to both approaches. I don't think there is a clear cut way to address those people we see doing things that aren't in the torts best interests but I have seen when the op gets defensive about things the people correcting them will often keep coming at them which continues to raise their walls. In my opinion when someone does not respond well to advise given then after one or two posts explaining why what they are doing is wrong then it may be time to tell them that you were only trying to help and that you suggest not just taking your word for it but to search the forum and read other similar posts. I know when I do that it leads me down a TFO rabbit hole where I've read and learned things I never would have known. I'm still a "newer" tort owner but I have gained so much knowledge from this forum that I have found myself able to help others and pass on advice here and in other groups I belong to.
    EllieMay, Jay Bagley, orv and 3 others like this.
  7. Loni

Loni Member

I am an absolute newbie and have been working my way through all of the forums here since I found you and the knowledge shared here is amazing and appreciated.

Personally, I do not have thin skin and if I am putting my tort at risk please feel free to roll up a magazine and smack me upside the head. Public is fine. If someone else can learn from it as well...perfect. I will be posting a lot of pictures and descriptions here as I am concerned that the prevailing recommendation is for newbies to not purchase hatchlings. In western Canada there is not an option to purchase older animals that I have found so I will be actively seeking guidance.

However, generally speaking, people need to feel approval balanced with constructive criticism. If the only responses they ever get are negative, they are going to feel unwelcome and leave. I try to find something to praise, question the dangerous behaviour and offer clear reasons for my questioning the practice, not the person.
    Jay Bagley and TechnoCheese like this.
  8. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member TFO Supporter Platinum Supporter

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    I've grown numb to repeating suggestions meant to help and then being "corrected" by the O.P.
    I thank members such as @Tom for the replies that keep trying to help, over and over again.
    Some new members take offense and leave the forum. But clearly, some are also helped.
    That's the best that we can hope for.
  9. Morty'sMamma

Morty'sMamma New Member

Straightforward is great but I think harsh is a little different. I think it’s important to let owners/keepers know how to properly care for their pets. It’s also important to let them know if they are placing them in harms way. An ounce of prevention.....
  10. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

11. Turtulas-Len

Turtulas-Len Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Is this inappropriate ? Rocket on Walker.jpg :D
    vladimir, Jay Bagley and TechnoCheese like this.
  12. TechnoCheese

TechnoCheese Well-Known Member

I actually have the three-set of Sulcata info and Russian Care Sheet+Beginner Mistakes saves to my “text replacement”

IMG_1529535909.101286.jpg
    IMG_1529535931.910450.jpg
    Because who has time to copy and paste each individual link?
    EllieMay and vladimir like this.
  13. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Very and shame on you, a veteran member should know better:p
    Turtulas-Len likes this.
  14. TriciaStringer

TriciaStringer Well-Known Member

Proverbs 12:15
    15 The way of fools seems right to them,
    but the wise listen to advice.
  15. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member