1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

What To Do About Pics Of Inappropriate Tortoise Practices?

Discussion in 'Debatable Topics' started by Tom, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

Here's the harm (I've told this story before, but it bears repeating):

Mildred, and adult desert tortoise, lived with this older couple happily roaming the backyard and living in peace. One day the couple got a labrador pup. The pup shared Mildred's yard and they lived there together for 15 years. One summer the older couple went away on vacation and their grown son came over every so often to gather the mail, check the animals, water the plants. When the couple got home they found Mildred with one of her front legs chewed totally off, clear up to the shoulder.
  2. Kennabear914

Kennabear914 New Member

Omg that is horrible! I understand the danger in that sense but i’d never leave them alone together, always with supervision. They usually only see each other when I take Ollie out of his enclosure and let him roam around a little, but I only let him do that under supervision so
  3. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

Zombie thread!
    Taylor T. and motero like this.
  4. terryo

terryo Well-Known Member 10 Year Member!

On Instagram there was a picture posted of a box turtle who was either chewed up or hit by a car...don't remember. The turtles shell was screwed together with these big screws...a couple on the top and 4 underneat . Then a wire was twisted around these big screws to hold the shell together. I was sick looking at it, but I didn't say anything. A while back I commented on something else this person did and I got a lot of backlash. Now if I see a situation that won't make a difference, no matter what I say, I just keep quiet.