When Do I Call a Vet?

BeckyB

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hello, I just got my Russian tortoise two days ago. I did my research beforehand and got him from a reputable reptile pet store. I'm a little worried because he hasn't been eating much since I got him, and all he seems to do is sleep. I figured he's just getting used to his new environment, but could it be something more serious? Should I take him to the vet?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Do you know what they were feeding him at the store? What have you tried to feed him? What is your basking area temp?

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Pics of your enclosure will help, along with the temps and what his diet was and currently is.
But tortoises are very territorial, they don't do well to enclosure changes so it's not uncommon for newly brought home torts to not want to eat.

BeckyB

Minnesota
Do you know what they were feeding him at the store? What have you tried to feed him? What is your basking area temp?
The guy at the pet store said they were feeding him hey pellets, but that he didn't seem to like them very much. I've been giving him some collard greens, mustard greens, and little bit of carrots, as well as hey pellets, just because I knew they'd be familiar to him. My basking temp was at 70F, and I just starting using another heat emitter to try and bring it up, and its been at about 80F today.

BeckyB

Minnesota
Pics of your enclosure will help, along with the temps and what his diet was and currently is.
But tortoises are very territorial, they don't do well to enclosure changes so it's not uncommon for newly brought home torts to not want to eat.
Here is his enclosure

IMG_0466.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That is not nearly warm enough. Tortoises need to be able to raise their body temp above 85F to digest food. They won't eat unless it is warm enough.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
That's such a cute hide!
Several things though. Sounds like the pet store might've steered you wrong in some places.
Those water bowls are basically death traps as torts can flip and drown in the water. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk at the level of the substrate work SO much better (plus I think they look nicer too).
Also your enclosure is too small for your tort. Usually 8'x4' is the recommended size for a RT (looks like a Russian to me, but I apologize if it isn't).
I know that's a huge bummer because I'm sure you put a lot of effort into it but better to know now so you can get it done right then not knowing till way later down the road.

Also, see if you can add in some safe-edible-live plants for him (thetortoisetable is an awesome site to use to see if plants are safe or not).That will boost humidity and break up sight lines so the enclosure won't seem so small until you can get the bigger one sorted.

What sort of substrate is that? I don't know much about the humidity requirements for RTs. I think they can handle 50% humidity as adults. As hatchlings they need high humidity though.

Do you have pics of the bulbs you're using?
And again, your tort is probably just very stressed with the move and going into a new enclosure.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Hi becky, welcome to tortoise keeping! your temperatures are too low. It isn't warm enough for your tort to eat. You will get good advice here!

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I would also remove the ramped water dish. They can be very dangerous if the tort falls back and tips over. A Terra cotta plant saucer works much better. Just sink into the ground .

What type of bulbs are in your fixtures ?

BeckyB

Minnesota
That's such a cute hide!
Several things though. Sounds like the pet store might've steered you wrong in some places.
Those water bowls are basically death traps as torts can flip and drown in the water. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk at the level of the substrate work SO much better (plus I think they look nicer too).
Also your enclosure is too small for your tort. Usually 8'x4' is the recommended size for a RT (looks like a Russian to me, but I apologize if it isn't).
I know that's a huge bummer because I'm sure you put a lot of effort into it but better to know now so you can get it done right then not knowing till way later down the road.

Also, see if you can add in some safe-edible-live plants for him (thetortoisetable is an awesome site to use to see if plants are safe or not).That will boost humidity and break up sight lines so the enclosure won't seem so small until you can get the bigger one sorted.

What sort of substrate is that? I don't know much about the humidity requirements for RTs. I think they can handle 50% humidity as adults. As hatchlings they need high humidity though.

Do you have pics of the bulbs you're using?
And again, your tort is probably just very stressed with the move and going into a new enclosure.
Thank you! These are the bulbs I'm using, and I think it was here that someone said that coil lights were bad for their eyes, so I am planning on switching it out when I can get to the pet store tomorrow. And I'm using cypress mulch for the substrate.

IMG_0467.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
The cypress much is fine as a substrate just pour water over it and mix to make it nice and moist. That coil bulb is bad unfortunately, you may be able to return it though. Then you have two options a long strip Uvb bulb or a murcury vapor bulb. MVB put out both uvb and heat so you only need one bulb. But I'm not sure if it will work in the dual fixture you have. Also screen tops can limit the amount of uvb put out by bulbs. How big is the tortoise?

BeckyB

Minnesota
The cypress much is fine as a substrate just pour water over it and mix to make it nice and moist. That coil bulb is bad unfortunately, you may be able to return it though. Then you have two options a long strip Uvb bulb or a murcury vapor bulb. MVB put out both uvb and heat so you only need one bulb. But I'm not sure if it will work in the dual fixture you have. Also screen tops can limit the amount of uvb put out by bulbs. How big is the tortoise?
He's about 5" wide.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Okay to be honest your best bet in this scenario is making or fashioning a tortoise table.
If your Russian is a male he is likely nearly full grown. Russian adults like It a little more arid and less humid and do fine with humidity in the 40-60 % range.
Some people like to take bookcases and lay them down. This saves from having to construct one. You can also build a tortoise table. Building a tortoise table is easier than building a closed chamber because it's not necessary to seal the entire enclosure. Russian tortoises also don't need night heat so it's not necessary to have something to keep them "warm" overnight.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

Unfortunately your pet store has helped you set quite a lot up wrong. Few pet stores are experts in Tort care, sadly, including this one.

Please read these carefully:

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tort Care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Basking temperature should be 95F at tort level.

It is important to measure this accurately - a temperature gun thermometer is inexpensive from Amazon.

That coil UVB is bad news. They hurt tort eyes. Do not use it. You need either a tube UVB to go with your basking bulb or an MVB bulb which combines UVB with basking to replace both.

Your tort's diet should be leafy greens. It cannot digest sugars properly so fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot should only be fed occasionally otherwise it will be sick.

While your tort is not eating properly, it is important to soak him daily for a good 20-30 minutes in warm water to keep him hydrated. Do this in high sided bowl that he can't see through.

Others have said about a bigger enclosure being necessary - a book case is a good idea.

BeckyB

Minnesota
I should have been more clear, the pet store had nothing to do with the way I set things up, except for the UVA and UVB bulb, as I only had a UVB beforehand. I had most of this set up before I even went to the pet store to get him. Because the place I got him at specializes in reptiles, their equipment is a little bit more expensive compared to other pet stores. The guy did say that he should be kept in anything larger than a 40gal tank, and I have him in a 50gal. He also told me that with anything I find on the internet, I should cross reference with at least 5 other sites, because there is so much false information about reptile care. He was actually very helpful.
I'll work on getting the basking temperatures up, and figuring out a larger space for him. And I've actually already soaked him once, but I will start doing it daily until he starts eating properly.
Thank you, you all have been really helpful! :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They're right about the information on the Internet. The guys who produce the TFO guides are species experts working hard to try to correct it! You're not the first to get caught out.