Where should we move?

whisper

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SE FL
We need some help. We are looking to get OUT of South FL and in to somewhere in the GA, NC, TN, N FL area say in about 4 years. We have family members building a house in Copperhill TN.

I've been in south FL my entire life and have never lived west of I-95. The husband has been here since he was 8. We want hills, season change and MORE SPACE. I have 5 red foots, 1 sulcata, 1 Russian, & 1 Greek. MY preference is N FL, no snow but I'm in the minority. I've read TN horror stories and need to research GA & NC. Please does anyone have any cities to suggest so we can start checking them out?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
We need some help. We are looking to get OUT of South FL and in to somewhere in the GA, NC, TN, N FL area say in about 4 years. We have family members building a house in Copperhill TN.

I've been in south FL my entire life and have never lived west of I-95. The husband has been here since he was 8. We want hills, season change and MORE SPACE. I have 5 red foots, 1 sulcata, 1 Russian, & 1 Greek. MY preference is N FL, no snow but I'm in the minority. I've read TN horror stories and need to research GA & NC. Please does anyone have any cities to suggest so we can start checking them out?
Why TN why not AZ ( tortoise heaven ) you get snow when you want not when God wants . And you can see roses in bloom at Christmas Day ! Yes it gets hot in the summer ! But I promise NO 40 below wind chills !

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Well, your redfoots won't want to leave South Florida. Even up in Jacksonville there will be plenty of nights you'll have to move them inside.
And they certainly will not want to move west to a less humid clime. The others would thrive in AZ tho.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Why TN why not AZ ( tortoise heaven ) you get snow when you want not when God wants . And you can see roses in bloom at Christmas Day ! Yes it gets hot in the summer ! But I promise NO 40 below wind chills !

Personally, the haboobs disqualify AZ for me.

whisper

5 Year Member
SE FL
Hmm AZ. I've been to Tempe. I remember it felt very clean for some reason. Thx I'll add it to the list!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I'm hoping to move south in about 3 years. Been considering the carolina's as well. And TN...what horror stories did you read?

whisper

5 Year Member
SE FL
I'm hoping to move south in about 3 years. Been considering the carolina's as well. And TN...what horror stories did you read?
How much research have you done, do you have any cities in mind yet?I've learned it's illegal to own a turtle in Tennessee. They're considered dangerous animals (Ha!). People keep them anyway but since some have been confiscated and then euthanized I'd rather not take any chances. Google 'Tennessee turtle laws' for some disturbing info. Sad.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I want to GO to South FL. Why do you guys want to leave?
I was born here and I lived all of my adult years here.(Grew up in South Carolina)
It's the heat, the hurricanes, The people,The crowded areas and things that I can't even articulate. I'm just DONE.
People come here for the sun and the beaches. I'm leaving because of the sun and the beaches. (In truth, I'll likely end up dying here. But it's my dream to escape.)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How much research have you done, do you have any cities in mind yet?I've learned it's illegal to own a turtle in Tennessee. They're considered dangerous animals (Ha!). People keep them anyway but since some have been confiscated and then euthanized I'd rather not take any chances. Google 'Tennessee turtle laws' for some disturbing info. Sad.
South Carolina is still cheap to do.....Tennessee has been getting purchased by "Yankees" piece by piece and is beginning to get pricey. North Carolina has more going on, but I'm still partial to South Carolina. I still own some property in Catawba and Fort Mill.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I haven't done much. I honestly have no idea where I want to be.