Why do they even keep the tortoise

Pure Tortoise Power

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
This image explains it all... They shouldn't be allowed to keep any torts, maybe even any other animals

This was posted on twitter (I think) and was seen as "funny", why do these people even exist...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They obviously love the tortoise. I doubt the tortoise is bothered by the attention and certainly isn't being harmed in any way.

I'm not going to dress up my tortoises, but I don't care if someone else wants to enjoy their animal in that way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree this is nothing. Not any different then the sweater costumes people put on them. The only real bad here is he looks like hes roaming the floor of the house which isn't good.
Now I dont like and dont think it should be done too any animal is the dying and/or painting of them. They are suppose to he the color they are born with. Not dyed or painted.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I agree this is nothing. Not any different then the sweater costumes people put on them. The only real bad here is he looks like hes roaming the floor of the house which isn't good.
Now I dont like and dont think it should be done too any animal is the dying and/or painting of them. They are suppose to he the color they are born with. Not dyed or painted.

It was always my assumption that people who kept larger tortoises here in the north had to live with giving them up theirs own room of the house in the winter and allowing them to roam the house (supervised) when they can’t put them outside because of the snow and frigid temperatures (I ended up deciding for myself New England was no place to try to keep a Sulcata even though I badly want one). I also seeing this just figured it acts kinda as a diaper. I know indoors isn’t ideal but there’s got to be large tortoise keepers in the colder areas that have their ways of making it work.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It was always my assumption that people who kept larger tortoises here in the north had to live with giving them up theirs own room of the house in the winter and allowing them to roam the house (supervised) when they can’t put them outside because of the snow and frigid temperatures (I ended up deciding for myself New England was no place to try to keep a Sulcata even though I badly want one). I also seeing this just figured it acts kinda as a diaper. I know indoors isn’t ideal but there’s got to be large tortoise keepers in the colder areas that have their ways of making it work.
If you make the whole room an enclosure with proper substrate basking temps hide etc then it is okay cuz the room is the enclosure and only the enclosure. Most people in the north with large tortoises should really plan on a large insulated heated shed for the winter months.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
If you make the whole room an enclosure with proper substrate basking temps hide etc then it is okay cuz the room is the enclosure and only the enclosure. Most people in the north with large tortoises should really plan on a large insulated heated shed for the winter months.

I just figured if I had a Sulcata in a room of a house that it’s still kind of a small space and I’d let him out to stretch their legs now and then while I was around to supervise... though I guess I don’t own a large tortoise and don’t take into account trying to get them to go back in there when you can’t really just pick them up and plop them in like my Russian tortoise. (I used to walk around following my Russian for a half hour a few days a week to let him stretch his legs when I mistakenly had been informed he could live in a 20g tank, but had to figure out where to put a larger enclosure before giving him an upgrade, but I guess that’s my poor husbandry and I wouldn’t really recommend that with a smaller tortoise). I know a shed makes more sense, I also wonder how many people got into having their little hatchling not knowing what they were getting into and not having the money or space to make such a shed.

Basically, I agree a tortoise shouldn’t roam around like a cat/dog, but looking outside where we’re barely clearing double digits today in New England I can’t help but think these ways.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Please don’t forget how many children drown every summer with proper care and supervision in AZ ! And these people care more for their children .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just figured if I had a Sulcata in a room of a house that it’s still kind of a small space and I’d let him out to stretch their legs now and then while I was around to supervise... though I guess I don’t own a large tortoise and don’t take into account trying to get them to go back in there when you can’t really just pick them up and plop them in like my Russian tortoise. (I used to walk around following my Russian for a half hour a few days a week to let him stretch his legs when I mistakenly had been informed he could live in a 20g tank, but had to figure out where to put a larger enclosure before giving him an upgrade, but I guess that’s my poor husbandry and I wouldn’t really recommend that with a smaller tortoise). I know a shed makes more sense, I also wonder how many people got into having their little hatchling not knowing what they were getting into and not having the money or space to make such a shed.

Basically, I agree a tortoise shouldn’t roam around like a cat/dog, but looking outside where we’re barely clearing double digits today in New England I can’t help but think these ways.
I dont have a confirmed number, but there is a lot of people that has bought that cute tiny sulcata hatchling from a pet store that only cares about the money. They will tell them anything, all wrong info and everything, they can live in an aquarium, to sell that cute hatchling. A lot of those little ones either die or end up for sale on Craig's List or in a rescue.
Fortunately for some of those tortoises, the owners finds this forum and we can help them do things right and keep that little tortoise that is no longer little. If they cant keep it, we have a lot of members that are always looking to rescue.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I dont have a confirmed number, but there is a lot of people that has bought that cute tiny sulcata hatchling from a pet store that only cares about the money. They will tell them anything, all wrong info and everything, they can live in an aquarium, to sell that cute hatchling. A lot of those little ones either die or end up for sale on Craig's List or in a rescue.
Fortunately for some of those tortoises, the owners finds this forum and we can help them do things right and keep that little tortoise that is no longer little. If they cant keep it, we have a lot of members that are always looking to rescue.

I did enough research to know I wasn’t getting into something I couldn’t handle, but not so much on the perfect care. The Sulcata is kind of like the whole turtle in the tiny pool within the palm tree. I actually just saw a recent rescue post in one of the turtle groups I followed where the person loved their Sulcata so much, but unfortunately they had been so misguided in care that the poor tortoises shell was so deformed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I did enough research to know I wasn’t getting into something I couldn’t handle, but not so much on the perfect care. The Sulcata is kind of like the whole turtle in the tiny pool within the palm tree. I actually just saw a recent rescue post in one of the turtle groups I followed where the person loved their Sulcata so much, but unfortunately they had been so misguided in care that the poor tortoises shell was so deformed.
I too did my research before I got my first leopard. The care was all wrong that I had found but the descriptions of the torts I was looking at were correct.
Unfortunately hatchlings are bought on impulse a lot of the times.

Turk and millie

Warren Michigan
I was one of those people! And my tort died! They gave me another one and I found this site. I ended up having to change everything cause all the info I was given was incorrect. I will never buy from a pet store again!

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
......I really do see nothing wrong with this...they seem to love it even to keep it in there house...

Xetryia

WI
Unless they glued that dog tag to the shell I don't see a prob with it. Actually, I take it back. No one should be allowed to wear them 2 dolla jeans:eek:!!

My Hermes will definitely rock a crochet shark fin or two one day. No diaper though, just give a bath first.

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
I see nothing wrong with this tortoise. If they choose to dress it up, that’s fine. It is not hurting him. Mater of fact, the tortoise looks like it was given great care. It is not pyramided at all. That is a sign they did give it good care!
There we go I agree 100+