Bob

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I was taught that when your tortoise was sick you should raise the temperature on him. My thermometer is chest high, I seriously doubt that the plywood floor is 93 degrees. It feels cold to my touch.
Anyhow, when Bob started acting this way I turned up his heater like what I was taught, and now I have y'all telling me he's too hot. He has a plywood floor over 1 foot of open space over cold earth. So I don't think Bob is too hot. I just did what I was taught. When you think your tortoise is sick, when he starts acting sick you raise the temperature on him. That's what I did. The normal temperature in the shed is much less then 93 degrees.
I am not an expert either Chad, I was just doing what I was taught. Bob started acting sick so I increased the temperature in his shed.

chadk

10 Year Member!
maggie3fan said:
I was taught that when your tortoise was sick you should raise the temperature on him. My thermometer is chest high, I seriously doubt that the plywood floor is 93 degrees. It feels cold to my touch.
Anyhow, when Bob started acting this way I turned up his heater like what I was taught, and now I have y'all telling me he's too hot. He has a plywood floor over 1 foot of open space over cold earth. So I don't think Bob is too hot. I just did what I was taught. When you think your tortoise is sick, when he starts acting sick you raise the temperature on him. That's what I did. The normal temperature in the shed is much less then 93 degrees.
I am not an expert either Chad, I was just doing what I was taught. Bob started acting sick so I increased the temperature in his shed.

Sorry, I thought you had said in the past that the ambient temps in the shed were always 93. But I must not be remembering correctly!

I would think raising the temps is a good idea, but I would also be sure to provide a temp gradient that includes something down to 75 or 80 and also a night drop of 70-75. But always providing the a warm basking spot and the pig blanket - but allow the tort to self thermo-regulate...
Again, just my thoughts and I'm just trying to be helpful... Open to being wrong :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Mea culpa! I thought you were talking about his shed is always 93, not that you have warmed it up because he was not acting right.

743662l45g05d1qv.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

You are not remembering correctly this time Chad. I don't normally keep his shed this warm. I do agree with you concerning the drop in temperature and giving Bob the chance to thermo-regulate, that is always how I have treated him. Thank you for your advice tho. I appreciate it.

This morning when I peeked in to check on him I was greeted with a surprise...there was a pile of poop in there that must reach epic proportions. He'd been putting out 1 or 2 turds a day so when he started acting sick I didn't think about constipation...but after seeing what I saw in there...lord Almighty! But the best part was him running over to the door when he saw me looking in. He still is not acting 100% like him, but it's obvious to me that there is a major difference in how he is acting. Some of the turds I cleaned up were hard and not what I would consider normal so I am confident that constipation and an upset stomach were his problems. I want to thank every one for their concern and caring so much about Bob. Your support really helped me.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
GREAT NEWS that it's not something more serious. Just a little while back, didn't he have some stomach problems? I may be thinking of another tort, but I could have sworn it was Bob.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That's great news Maggie. Bob is kind of like the mascot of this forum, and I know that if something happened to him, we would all feel it. The real logo of this forum should be Bob's squash face. We all love him so.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm so glad that Bob is doing better Maggie. I know he worried you, but maybe he just had a tummy ache. Poor little guy. For a minute after reading this thread I was hoping that when he got out those times that he didn't get a hold of something that wasn't good for him. Keep us updated. :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I hope he makes even more progress tomorrow.

I guess at least he won't be trying to climb over the cement blocks on your bottom step just yet...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I've finally solved the mystery Maggie!

This unknown ( I think it's EJ ) "started" Bob before you got him.....

TortJump2.jpg

Terry K

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Stephanie Logan said:
That's FUNNY, and it explains a lot. ;)

I thot so too! A LOT!!!

Maggie has been able to get Bob's carapace "smoothed-out"!

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.