COLD DARK ROOM

Pastel Tortie

Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Interesting....not done around here....wonder how it started. Everything is BIGGER in Texas!
The only similar tradition that comes to mind is regarding bridal showers. While the bride opens her gifts, one of her attendants collects the bow and ribbons, and attaches them to a paper plate. The result looks a little like a bouquet, and it might be carried down the aisle during the wedding rehearsal.

I wonder if somehow the Texas tradition stemmed from that. I could imagine someone going above and beyond for a huge wedding and huge wedding party, and making sure all the bridesmaids and flower girls had something to carry at the rehearsal, or possibly to wear at the rehearsal dinner to identify the as part of the wedding party. Any thoughts or other sort of similar traditions?

Maybe with our eclectic, creative and multicultural crew, we can connect some dots. No telling what the end picture will look like!

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I think Guys want to minimize it. Jess’s was a disaster last year cause a boy asked her at the last minute... literally the night before I was scraping together a garter for him. Do the boys have to do the whole presentation thing there when they are asking a girl? I’ll watch for your pics next weekend:)
Is this sort of like a high school prom thing? Back at my high school, the juniors did the planning and decorating for the prom (seniors and juniors and their dates could attend). I think they normally ordered commemorative stemware and garters (in prom colors, of course) as keepsakes, and they ordered enough for everyone attending. There wasn't any tradition as to how they got put on (the girls).

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I actually had to google this because we have done it since I was a kid but no one has ever said why... lol
View attachment 253415
Maybe the prom corsage and garter traditions got crossed with the bows-and-ribbon bouquet plate from the bridal shower traditions, or something.

Did I ever mention that I minored in anthropology in college? :D

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Mostly Rome. But with stopovers in Milan, Bologna, and Florence. Might take a trip down to Pompeii too - daughter has read about the volcano eruption of 79AD at school.

Any recommendations for restaurants in those places? We’re always open to a good suggestion! ;)
Oh, I loved Rome! I don't remember specific restaurants, but the food was WONDERFUL. And there's no such thing as bad-tasting Italian wine.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Is this sort of like a high school prom thing? Back at my high school, the juniors did the planning and decorating for the prom (seniors and juniors and their dates could attend). I think they normally ordered commemorative stemware and garters (in prom colors, of course) as keepsakes, and they ordered enough for everyone attending. There wasn't any tradition as to how they got put on (the girls).

Yes! Very much like that I think.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Some pix of the British Ship “Monmouth” in Baltimore for Fleet Week. We were able to paddle up pretty close to this ship....not as close to the US Naval vessels in port. (Very overcast day).

• HMS Monmouth is the sixth "Duke"-class Type 23 frigate of the Royal Navy. She is the seventh ship to bear the name and was launched by Lady Eaton in 1991, being commissioned two years later.
  • Affectionately known as "The Black Duke", Monmouth is the only ship in service with the Royal Navy that has its name painted in black and flies a plain black flag in addition to the ensign. This is due to the dissolution of the title and the blacking out of the Coat of Arms of the Duke of Monmouth in 1685 following the Monmouth Rebellion against James II of England. As of 2018, Monmouth carries the most battle honours of any ship name currently serving in the Royal Navy.
876F6F97-408E-4BAC-A138-956505460386.jpeg 16890685-8A75-4463-82DE-A88E90F7C165.jpeg 5DBC31FC-EDDC-40F7-A080-004DA6081A1D.jpeg

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I think Guys want to minimize it. Jess’s was a disaster last year cause a boy asked her at the last minute... literally the night before I was scraping together a garter for him. Do the boys have to do the whole presentation thing there when they are asking a girl? I’ll watch for your pics next weekend:)

Yes, most just make a poster and bring flowers! We forgot flowers so he bought her ticket . I’m sure there’s more creative kids out there.
One kid had the cheerleaders hold up letters.

IMG_2100.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning all

I find this discussion about proms fascinating. These traditions have not made it across the Atlantic.

Year 11 (age 16) and Year 13 (age 18) are the big public exam years. Less academic students going into work, apprenticeship or college frequently leave at the end of year 11. All remaining students move on from secondary school at the end of Year 13.

Some schools hold a "prom" at the end of these years as a leavers' celebration. There's none of the formal inviting someone of the opposite gender involved though, or garters, etc. It's a party - a disco and food - you buy your own ticket, dress up and enjoy yourself. You do hear of some parents hiring limos for a group of students to arrive in, but that is the exception not the rule.

My governor school is a boys' school and being teenage boys the dance thing doesn't go down well with the majority. An end of year barbecue with a visiting ice cream van is a huge hit though. There's nothing like food to unite teenage boys :D

We had a good, if wet and windy, day in London yesterday.

JoesDad has been hatching man flu however so today is going to be much quieter

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning all

JoesDad has been hatching man flu however so today is going to be much quieter

It doesn’t sound all that different Linda... I think the states just dramatize things here. Maybe it’s even more over-stated here in the southern states. People here use anything as a reason to celebrate. Not a bad thing, just time consuming and expensive when your kids get involved:) At this point, I like your boys’ idea better:)
So sorry about JoesDad and I hope he rocovers quickly. Don’t let him be kissing on you cause someone’s got to stay healthy and take care of the rest of JoesFamily!