COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
TORTOISE participants so fare are:
Bea (Moozillion), Lena (Kristoff), Heather (EllieMay), Sabine (Bee62), Carol M, Anne (Pastel Tortie), Kathy (Momof4)

IMG_8603.jpg

Card participants so far are:
Yvonne G, Ed (ZEROPILOT), Ewa (Pearly), Lena (Kristoff), Linda (JoesMum), Sabine (Bee62), Bea (Moozillion), Kathy (Momof4), Carol M , Heather (EllieMay), Anne (Pastel Tortie), Toddrickfl1

IMG_8602.jpg

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Morning All

Here’s one pix of the USS Oak Hill (LSD-51) that we gently paddled along side during our outing yesterday during Fleet Week Baltimore.

View attachment 253491
That's amazing. It never would have occurred to me to go kayaking around all the military vessels. Do you have to file a flight plan or get clearance before you go?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I once knew a dog - part border collie, I think - who would go hide under the kitchen table and sometimes whimper whenever he heard any of the meteorologists on TV talk about storms on the way. And sometimes the TV would be on The Weather Channel. It was rather difficult trying to explain that the storms weren't anywhere near us.
Ok. Wow. Very clever dog.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Mostly Rome. But with stopovers in Milan, Bologna, and Florence. Might take a trip down to Pompeii too - daughter has read about the volcano eruption of 79AD at school.

Any recommendations for restaurants in those places? We’re always open to a good suggestion! ;)
Okay so the place. Sounds like lots of fun.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The only similar tradition that comes to mind is regarding bridal showers. While the bride opens her gifts, one of her attendants collects the bow and ribbons, and attaches them to a paper plate. The result looks a little like a bouquet, and it might be carried down the aisle during the wedding rehearsal.

I wonder if somehow the Texas tradition stemmed from that. I could imagine someone going above and beyond for a huge wedding and huge wedding party, and making sure all the bridesmaids and flower girls had something to carry at the rehearsal, or possibly to wear at the rehearsal dinner to identify the as part of the wedding party. Any thoughts or other sort of similar traditions?

Maybe with our eclectic, creative and multicultural crew, we can connect some dots. No telling what the end picture will look like!
I wish we had known that. We have nothing like that over here.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning all

I find this discussion about proms fascinating. These traditions have not made it across the Atlantic.

Year 11 (age 16) and Year 13 (age 18) are the big public exam years. Less academic students going into work, apprenticeship or college frequently leave at the end of year 11. All remaining students move on from secondary school at the end of Year 13.

Some schools hold a "prom" at the end of these years as a leavers' celebration. There's none of the formal inviting someone of the opposite gender involved though, or garters, etc. It's a party - a disco and food - you buy your own ticket, dress up and enjoy yourself. You do hear of some parents hiring limos for a group of students to arrive in, but that is the exception not the rule.

My governor school is a boys' school and being teenage boys the dance thing doesn't go down well with the majority. An end of year barbecue with a visiting ice cream van is a huge hit though. There's nothing like food to unite teenage boys :D

We had a good, if wet and windy, day in London yesterday.

JoesDad has been hatching man flu however so today is going to be much quieter
We have a dance. They call it a Matric Dance. The girls and boys go all out and dress up in ball gown dresses and tuxes etc. A big deal. But also very expensive if you ask me.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
It doesn’t sound all that different Linda... I think the states just dramatize things here. Maybe it’s even more over-stated here in the southern states. People here use anything as a reason to celebrate. Not a bad thing, just time consuming and expensive when your kids get involved:) At this point, I like your boys’ idea better:)
So sorry about JoesDad and I hope he rocovers quickly. Don’t let him be kissing on you cause someone’s got to stay healthy and take care of the rest of JoesFamily!
Lol. Oh they make a big deal here too. We just don't do the ribbon thing. But we do do corsages.